Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muskwa/Tuchodi

Re: Muskwa/Tuchodi

I would hate to work on a downed animal with all the grizzly sign you talk about

Quote Originally Posted by Phila View Post
    Just returned from a week on the upper Muskwa, stayed at Poplar Camp upriver from Crehan Creek with outfitter. There were five hunting camps in a two mile stretch upriver from us, unrelated to us. One instance of hunters calling one another instead of Elk that we know of.

We saw Elk, goats. Didn't see or hear any moose except for a cow moose on the river. Wolves and coyotes in the area and a few bears around, both black and grizzly. I was successful on a good bull Elk.

Spectacular scenery, good hunting, access in and out can be difficult depending on river conditions. For me crowding was the biggest concern.
    The area always has many camps in September.

In the past there was game for every hunter and all the predators. Now not so much

Hey everyone, looking to get some pointers on the Kechika and Turnagian as next fall will be my maiden voyage out there. Aiming for the last week of September and first week of October.
    I am running a
    - 2011 20' Custom weld (22' including grid)
    - 11 degree hull
    - 350 kodiak with AT 312
    - 300 litre tank
    - Brand new 2.9 KW stainless steel impeller
    - *** No UMHW***
    Would be looking to launch at Fireside and head the approx 104 km to The Turnagain and then head up until fuel stops us or find a great camp spot. Day trips from there. I have ran small rivers in southern BC and would consider my technical experience decent but am just wondering if a boat my size would have any trouble if the water happened to be on the skinny side. Would be 3 guys, packing light with small tents and 700- 800 litres of fuel.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

I would highly suggest the Uhmw as there are lots of skinny sections, better to slide then stick! The boat itself will do fine, might want to think about a pump protector as well?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...