Thread: Question on bag limits per licence

Question on bag limits per licence

I have a question regarding # of deer per licence.
    I see some zones have a limit of 2 antlerless whitetails, but it is not clear on needing a second licence.

a few years back in Alberta when you bought your whitetail tag, you could also buy what was called a supplemental antlerless whitetail deer tag and you were given 2 tags to fix to 2 different animals after you harvested.
    this was in addition to your general whitetail tag, where you could also take an antlerless deer.

so I’m at the counter at the bass pro in Tsawwassen a few weeks back and I asked for a second whitetail tag, and was told no you only are allowed 1 whitetail tag per year.
    I went over this at the counter for several minutes and left with 1 whitetail deer tag, which following the regs, depending on the zone, I can take a buck or if Doe is open , I can take a doe.
    where does the second licence come in for the second deer.

so how does this work ?,
    Last edited by Leveraction; 10-08-2021 at 10:01 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question on bag limits per licence

You can purchase a second whitetail license (aka tag). The person at Bass Pro was incorrect.

There is a good section in the regulations that explains provincial bag limits for both whitetail and mule (black-tailed) deer.

they are wrong.
    reg 3-8 have regional bag limits of two wt, so you need two tags...

That Basspro employee is an idiot unless that store is in a zone where you can only take one whitey a year as it is not province wide, but even then as there are many zones where it’s two they’re still kind of an idiot.

All you have to do is buy a second tag.

only 1 deer is allowed per license/tag. Once that tag has been cut, it has been cancelled. And you need to carry all cancelled species licenses with you.

In regards to how many tags you can buy/fill:

Synopsis page 8.

DEER LICENCES

A person must not possess more than 15 of any current year deer licences. The combination of deer licences may include a maximum of 3 mule deer and 3 white-tailed deer licences. There are special Haida Gwaii deer licence which allow hunters to exceed the 2 deer bag limit for the Skeena Region and the 3 deer provincial bag limit up to a maximum of 15 deer when hunting in Haida Gwaii. Up to 3 regular mule deer licences can be used in Haida Gwaii,but they will count toward the regional and provincial bag limits. (For example, if a mule deer licence is used in MU 6-12 or 6-13, a hunter will be prevented from pursuing deer elsewhere in the Skeena Region, and it will count towards the 3-deer provincial bag limit).

Synopsis page 17

Deer Bag Limits Explained

One of the most common questions that wildlife staff receive is about deer bag limits and deer species licences. On the surface it seems confusing, with provincial bag limits vs. regional bag limits, buck limits vs. antlerless bag limits, aggregate bag limits, individual bag limits for species,and species licences for mule (black-tailed) and white-tailed deer. Once the system is broken down into its parts it is straight forward.There are two classes of bag limits, Provincial and Regional, neither of these bag limits can be exceeded.

1) The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3 (not including Haida Gwaii).Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year, but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6,7A, 7B and 8 combined. Hunters may harvest 3 white-tailed deer(if they purchase 3 white-tailed deer licenses), or 3 mule (blacktailed) deer (if they purchase 3 mule (black-tailed) deer licenses),or a combination of white-tailed and mule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or 2+1) providing they do not exceed the provincial limit of 3 and not more than 1 mule(black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined. The reason hunters may purchase more than 3 deer licenses in total is to provide hunters with the flexibility to harvest any combination of white-tailed or mule (black-tailed) deer up to a maximum of 3.

2) Regional bag limits are implemented to limit the number of a speciesor sex of deer that may be harvested per hunter per year in response to local conditions. If a hunter harvests the maximum number of a species or sex of deer within a region, they can no longer hunt deer within that region. They can, however, continue to hunt and harvest deer in other regions until they reach the provincial bag limit of

3) The following table outlines the provincial and regional bag limits for deer.Deer bag limits on Haida Gwaii are not covered in this article, as they are a unique case. See table on page 17 of the synopsis
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-08-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Go back to that fool and tell him to foff
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

as mentioned ...somewhere around page 17 they put it in a table to make it way easier to read and understand...way clearer on limits...I get 2 WT tags every year