Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Hybrid View

Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Ok guys,
    we are heading into Grizz country (which seems to be everywhere in the province) for Moose this fall. We will have two dogs in camp. What are your do’s and dont’s with regards to dogs. How to keep them safe, and more importantly how to keep yourself safe.
    Your comments please and thank you.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

If they are wanderers, keep them leashed up, but I wouldn't leave them alone like that. Remember to keep their food away from camp. If you think other hunters are in the area, tie something bright to the dogs so that they are easy to identify to avoid an accident.
    I take my dog a lot, but he's pretty good at sticking to my side. My old dog used to wander, so we put bear bells on him. At least then we knew what was coming through the bush.

Hmmm leave them both at home!..
    consume your time and attention..if they do run into a grizz they will head right between your legs for protection...tge grizz wont git there.
    Big chance they will get lost..in strange area.
    Leave them at home, take em to the park when you get home.
    Srupp

dogs are required to be leashed when hunting ungulates as per regs, but you'll find some grey area with that from CO to CO, I've asked a few directly....ie they've never heard of a fine issued for a dog off leash while sheep/goat hunting, even though that is technically a violation, lots of guys use dogs to help pack a few pounds...CO's don't want to see off leash dogs used to find or flush ungulates, or the potential that may have occurred, ie moose down and you have a dog and you have no leash with you

personally I like to use an extendable leash if I my grouse hunt suddenly turns into a moose hunt, easier to manage a long lead that way, but once the animal is down my dog is my security system and off leash if I am packing meat or returning to kill site, CO's have said they are ok with that

I personally would not leave my dog unattended in camp, too many distractions in the bush....high vis vest or at least hi vis collar

their food stays in the truck, which is usually where my food cooler is as well

I hunt solo most of the time, so I really enjoy having the dog along on some hunts

above all I would never go hunting with a dog with a recall problem or barking problem, asking for issues if you encounter bears or they spook game that way....I would only bring a well trained dog you have 100% control over, my dog has alerted me to a black bear stalking us while grouse hunting with only #7 shot on hand, i firmly believe my dog saved a bad situation that day...plus he can pack 25 lbs for me
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Great feedback. We have a high viz harness and leash. The Dogs will not be hunting but locked in the camper, but may be a part of Moose retrieval. Bells on at that point sounds like a good idea to me.
    And your point Steven is well taken.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Dont name your dog "Bear" and then call him. Trust me, the folks camped beside you get worked up.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Dont name your dog "Bear" and then call him. Trust me, the folks camped beside you get worked up.

Hahaha that made me LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    No there named Cuddles and Fluffy hahahaha
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by whitespringer View Post
    No there named Cuddles and Fluffy hahahaha
    Calling “cuddles” loudly all the time could also get you in trouble depending on who is camped next door!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Calling “cuddles” loudly all the time could also get you in trouble depending on who is camped next door!
    .. Does that then by virtue extent to yelling fluffy in the woods??