Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Re: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

[QUOTE=whitespringer;2116211]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I'd rather be in the bush or in camp with my dog (s) than many people I know. I've enjoyed many hunts with my late dog Buckely.

Rules for dogs in camp?

Don't let them run all over hells half acre. I'd be more worried about my dog checking out a porcupine

Your right. A dog never talks back, argues with you or makes a complete drunken fool of themselves.
    Porcupines... that could ruin a trip real quick. Seen Dr. Pol remove quills from a dogs face. Not pretty.
    thanks for sharing some great memories with Buckely.
    just saw this today

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...th-a-porcupine

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Calling “cuddles” loudly all the time could also get you in trouble depending on who is camped next door!
    .. Does that then by virtue extent to yelling fluffy in the woods??

Love my dogs. When I have them, they are with me always. I'm seldom without. They are in camp. Golden Retrievers never required a leash. None of my dogs have been barking dogs. The current pup I have still requires a leash in camp. When GOS is on, they are always leashed and with me. Don't want them to wander and get whacked by a careless rifle hunter. I don't actively hunt with my dogs. But that's mostly about the style of hunting I do. If we're on retrieval, there is nothing better than letting a dog be a part of that.

mostly good experiences with dogs in camp but there was this one time both sets of tenderloins got eaten off the hanging elk....should have hung it higher before taking a celebratory rest I guess.... so hard to blame the dog

couple years back I found a lost st bernard in the mountains, poor thing wasn't going to last much longer....a family camping lost their two dogs after they had a run in with a porcupine, dogs ran off and were lost about a month, sadly the second dog didn't make it
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If the dog starts chasing a grizzly, get your gun ready as pretty soon the grizzly will get tired of it and start chasing your dog. And your dog is going to run right to you and hide behind you.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!