Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Ok guys,
    we are heading into Grizz country (which seems to be everywhere in the province) for Moose this fall. We will have two dogs in camp. What are your do’s and dont’s with regards to dogs. How to keep them safe, and more importantly how to keep yourself safe.
    Your comments please and thank you.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

If they are wanderers, keep them leashed up, but I wouldn't leave them alone like that. Remember to keep their food away from camp. If you think other hunters are in the area, tie something bright to the dogs so that they are easy to identify to avoid an accident.
    I take my dog a lot, but he's pretty good at sticking to my side. My old dog used to wander, so we put bear bells on him. At least then we knew what was coming through the bush.

Hmmm leave them both at home!..
    consume your time and attention..if they do run into a grizz they will head right between your legs for protection...tge grizz wont git there.
    Big chance they will get lost..in strange area.
    Leave them at home, take em to the park when you get home.
    Srupp

dogs are required to be leashed when hunting ungulates as per regs, but you'll find some grey area with that from CO to CO, I've asked a few directly....ie they've never heard of a fine issued for a dog off leash while sheep/goat hunting, even though that is technically a violation, lots of guys use dogs to help pack a few pounds...CO's don't want to see off leash dogs used to find or flush ungulates, or the potential that may have occurred, ie moose down and you have a dog and you have no leash with you

personally I like to use an extendable leash if I my grouse hunt suddenly turns into a moose hunt, easier to manage a long lead that way, but once the animal is down my dog is my security system and off leash if I am packing meat or returning to kill site, CO's have said they are ok with that

I personally would not leave my dog unattended in camp, too many distractions in the bush....high vis vest or at least hi vis collar

their food stays in the truck, which is usually where my food cooler is as well

I hunt solo most of the time, so I really enjoy having the dog along on some hunts

above all I would never go hunting with a dog with a recall problem or barking problem, asking for issues if you encounter bears or they spook game that way....I would only bring a well trained dog you have 100% control over, my dog has alerted me to a black bear stalking us while grouse hunting with only #7 shot on hand, i firmly believe my dog saved a bad situation that day...plus he can pack 25 lbs for me
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Great feedback. We have a high viz harness and leash. The Dogs will not be hunting but locked in the camper, but may be a part of Moose retrieval. Bells on at that point sounds like a good idea to me.
    And your point Steven is well taken.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Dont name your dog "Bear" and then call him. Trust me, the folks camped beside you get worked up.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Dont name your dog "Bear" and then call him. Trust me, the folks camped beside you get worked up.

Hahaha that made me LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

In over 50 years of moose/deer hunting we never had a bear problem at camp even after hanging game for some time.
    LT's(LOVER308 ) dog was with us on all of our hunts & did some barking at camp occasionally probably scaring the bear.

We always have a fairly large campfire. Some say that it deters bears others say it doesn't.
    We are fairly loud when at camp.
    More than 1 weapon is within easy reach -usually a defender & a 45/70. Also have a couple cans of bear spray to scare off a curious bear if needed. I even have a bear banger.

The time that we are extra careful is when field dressing the animal. One usually stands guard & is ready to shoot if necessary.

Last time we were north of Gang a hunting party from Quesnel, not that far away, had problems with bears every night even though they had 1 or 2 dogs. The dogs barking did not scare the bears. These were black bears but we have seen grizzly in the same area.
    The lady hunter was an archery expert. She even killed a grizz with an arrow.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 09-12-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    No there named Cuddles and Fluffy hahahaha
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

I'd rather be in the bush or in camp with my dog (s) than many people I know. I've enjoyed many hunts with my late dog Buckely. He was not a "hunter" but would heal beside me and was great company. Had him on deer, elk, black and Griz bear hunts from 10 day big camp hunts to a backpack griz hunt. I shot allot of game and enjoyed many campfires with him at my side.

I'm going to be bringing my new lab with me this weekend for a dayhunt for deer. She will be on a 6' lead , but I don't have any worry she will be an issue. She has already done a weekend with me backpacking looking for elk sheds, a week of big camp "glamping", shore and boat fishing and fun stalks on Island blacktail and elk. I hope to bring her next month on a week of deer hunting where her kennel will be beside a nice comfy wood stove in my wall tent. With luck, we can do some grouse hunting.

Rules for dogs in camp?

Don't let them run all over hells half acre. I'd be more worried about my dog checking out a porcupine then having a bear issue. Clean up after your dog. And don't leave its food in an area that can attract anything from mice to bears

- neither of mine would come if they were:
    - yappy or barkers
    - not controllable
    - didn't travel well
    - aggressive or unfriendly towards others
    - out of shape

And if I am planning on travelling, camping, hunting with others, I discuss this. If the dog is going to be a problem then it either stays at home or I go alone "well, me and the dog"

Last edited by Ron.C; 09-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.