Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

Re: Dogs in Camp Do’s and Dont’s

….……………………..

Dog does not have to be on a leash, Regs state that they “must be leashed when used to hunt ungulates” I take my dog everywhere I don’t actually use him to hunt anything he’s just my companion and walks at heel. If you were seen with your dog running around out front and following him it could be argued you were using him to hunt.
    Beer so much more than a breakfast drink.

Quote Originally Posted by chinooker View Post
    Dog does not have to be on a leash, Regs state that they “must be leashed when used to hunt ungulates” I take my dog everywhere I don’t actually use him to hunt anything he’s just my companion and walks at heel. If you were seen with your dog running around out front and following him it could be argued you were using him to hunt.
    You must be in possession of firearm to qualified like hunting.
    People lie the most of all before elections, at the war and after hunting.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I'd rather be in the bush or in camp with my dog (s) than many people I know. I've enjoyed many hunts with my late dog Buckely. He was not a "hunter" but would heal beside me and was great company. Had him on deer, elk, black and Griz bear hunts from 10 day big camp hunts to a backpack griz hunt. I shot allot of game and enjoyed many campfires with him at my side.

I'm going to be bringing my new lab with me this weekend for a dayhunt for deer. She will be on a 6' lead , but I don't have any worry she will be an issue. She has already done a weekend with me backpacking looking for elk sheds, a week of big camp "glamping", shore and boat fishing and fun stalks on Island blacktail and elk. I hope to bring her next month on a week of deer hunting where her kennel will be beside a nice comfy wood stove in my wall tent. With luck, we can do some grouse hunting.

Rules for dogs in camp?

Don't let them run all over hells half acre. I'd be more worried about my dog checking out a porcupine then having a bear issue. Clean up after your dog. And don't leave its food in an area that can attract anything from mice to bears

- neither of mine would come if they were:
    - yappy or barkers
    - not controllable
    - didn't travel well
    - aggressive or unfriendly towards others
    - out of shape

And if I am planning on travelling, camping, hunting with others, I discuss this. If the dog is going to be a problem then it either stays at home or I go alone "well, me and the dog"

Good post, thank you.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2116183]In over 50 years of moose/deer hunting we never had a bear problem at camp even after hanging game for some time.
    LT's(LOVER308 ) dog was with us on all of our hunts & did some barking at camp occasionally probably scaring the bear.

We always have a fairly large campfire. Some say that it deters bears others say it doesn't.
    We are fairly loud when at camp.
    More than 1 weapon is within easy reach -usually a defender & a 45/70. Also have a couple cans of bear spray to scare off a curious bear if needed. I even have a bear banger.

The time that we are extra careful is when field dressing the animal. One usually stands guard & is ready to shoot if necessary.

Last time we were north of Gang a hunting party from Quesnel, not that far away, had problems with bears every night even though they had 1 or 2 dogs. The dogs barking did not scare the bears. These were black bears but we have seen grizzly in the same area.
    The lady hunter was an archery expert. She even killed a grizz with an arrow.
    [/QUOTE

Good post, thank you.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I have my 3 dogs with me 90% of the time here they are checking trail cams.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Number 1 Do, is don't bring your dog unless they are hunting dogs
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I have my 3 dogs with me 90% of the time here they are checking trail cams.

Now those guys look like good company and great fun!
    Thanks for posting
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

My buddy just called he was out solo still hunting blacktail deer across a logging slash this evening he had a large male cougar stock in on him he didn't see it until it was appr 15 - 20 yards from him.

It was up wind from him so could smell him and knew he was a human but it still came in on him.

He's telling me he wishes he had a dog with him.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

I always take the dog....leash? no....but I have her trained to respond to hand commands not just verbal....helps when she spots something and you need to keep control of the dog.... and she will heel beside the quad...she gets pissed when i force her to ride in the basket on the quad....keep a collar with a light though....can be hard to see the dog on a long walk/ride back to camp....the dog has found many deer I have downed and saved me time locating them....the only issue is she thinks she found the deer and it is hers...lol