Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick....give me the spotting scope!!!

Re: Quick....give me the spotting scope!!!

This is a great story. Make a movie. id buy tickets for me and the family lol

We got to a parking spot that I figured was close enough to the elk but still obstructed by some trees. Once we were 150yds from the truck the bull started acting weird. As I looked through the binos, he was looking straight towards us. Obviously he spotted the truck coming in and was now watching us walk up the road. Knowing the bull had seen us and the truck, I almost told Evan that continuing to walk up the road would be a waste of time. But as my friend says “ we didn’t get dressed up for nothing “ so we picked up the pace trying to gain ground before the bull disappeared. Unfortunately we only made it another 200yds and the elk walked behind a big block of trees in the cut block.
    600yds further up the road we go to the best spot to start walking into the cut block, so we bailed off the road hoping the elk had walked in behind the trees and settled down. We slowly made our way up hill watching the top edge of the hill anticipating that we would start to see antlers any second. The anticipation was building with every step but with every step all we seen was a little bit more of the empty cut block. After making it 200yds off the road something big and brown came busting out of the timber into the cut block. ELK....... The cow was only 70yds away and quickly making her way across the block when the bull came out of the timber up the little hill and stopped to check us out. I quickly got the rifle on my shoulder turned the scope up and started to count points. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.........come on.......6 he’s got 6. Loudly i said “ shoot he’s legal “. A few seconds later I hear Evans rifle sound off and the bull dropped instantly. With the bull looking like Homer Simpson spinning circles on the nuclear plant floor, we quickly finished him off.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 09-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! Bravo. what a great ending. Please tell me theres more pics pleaseeeee

It’s now 7:45 and we only have 45min until it’s dark, In typical fashion, I was completely unprepared. Wearing running shoes, Pack frame was at home, no flash light, didn’t even grab a cow call before we left the house. I send out a few texts to see if my best friend( Matt ) and his brother( Aj ) we able to help. Having even less daylight left we started quartering the bull. Using the gutless method we managed to get the 4 quarters off and moved 40yds down hill and into the block of timber. Knowing help was on the way, we grabbed our rifles and got out of dodge. Aj having just missed out on a chance at a big bull agreed to swing by my house and grab my pack frame and extra keys and come help. Matt wasn’t far behind and stopped at my house to grab my boots that I forgot to tell Aj to grab.

Evan and I made the 1.5 km walk back to the truck, covered in blood, knowing there were 2 grizzlies in this cut block 3 morning before. Aj arrived less than 2 min after we got to the truck so there wasn’t much time to relax before we started packing meat. We drove to where we came down out the block and pounded some water. Armed with 2 rifles, pack frames we headed up into the cublock with one flash light and 3 cell phones lighting the way. We arrived at the 4 quarters and quickly loaded them into the 2 pack frames we had then went to the car as to remove the head, back straps and tenderloins.

We were starting to remove the second back strap when Matt showed up with his bag and my boots. A few minutes later the backstraps, tenderloins and extra meat were removed and we walked back to the pack frames. We loaded the last quarter onto Matt’s frame and walked down to the truck. With the help of 2 amazing friends, we had Evans bull back to the truck 3 hrs after it hit the ground.

we arrived home around 11:30, got everything hung and skinned, set up a house fan to keep some air movement, hoses off some bags and closed the door on the shop. Matt and Aj we’re heading out first thing this morning so they weren’t sticking around any longer than necessary.

In the end, It was a great day and we were happy to know that all the shots fired on opening morning missed.

Unfortunately my son doesn’t want me to post pics of his bull this yr.
    The pics posted are the bull we seen on the 8th.

Thanks for reading.

Willyqbc is going to post another pic for me. It’s a teaser for my next story about Evans 2018 bull elk.

Awesome story...

Thanks for posting!

Holy crap! Awesome story. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

awesome story thanks

Congrats, great story and I bet your son now will forever have "elk fever"!!!
    Good on ya both!

Congrats great thread