I hesitate to post a new post on here, but thought with the elk talk going on, instead of derailing other threads, I'd share my most recent hunt. Sorry for the length, my passion and my want to share the details, was getting the best of me.

I spend a lot of time in the area we hunt our elk. My wife says I hunt year round. Watching the forest change, making strategy adjustments based on natural factors. Monitoring the ebb and flow of predators, bears, cats, wolves. Forest ingrowth, roads that are getting grown in, blow downs that change the habitat, and access. We set camp early so we can immerse ourselves in the days before the hunt. Prior to day one the opening of BOS (Bow Only Season) we had an idea of what our objectives might entail. It was my Father’s 90 birthday (August 31st) and he has long been the mentor to many. We celebrated in camp having him with us. He hasn’t missed many hunts in his 90 years.

Day one, in the dark, we climbed hard through the west slope big timber to gain the elevation (approximately 500 metres) we needed, to be in close proximity to elk at daylight. Our approach was from the west into a primarily north facing basin, the wind moving favourably downhill concealing our scent. Our packs average around 30 pounds. Frame packs that contain everything we need to take an elk, deal with it and come out in hopefully one trip. Or at least make the first trip a load.

The wind is, the most important consideration in route finding and approach on an elk. We spend a few hours moving through active elk country at elevation, elk are everywhere as we explore the first pocket. The going is tough, the blow downs many. As we move through the terrain, I use an old hand held cow calf combo call and make quiet soft mewing sounds. We set up on the edge of some grassy opens against the timbered area. Calling (bugling) we had elk respond, but none coming in. We know it’s early in the hunt and we don’t want to push the elk out of their area, so our approach is more cautious. Back to camp, we climb a hill and glass the zone we think holds the elk and consider a strategy for another day.

Day 2, up early and hiking in the opposite direction into an old pocket we refer to as the Dragon’s wallow. Still taking an inventory of elk in the area. This pocket always holds bulls. We decide on two teams coming from opposite directions, one team from the east, one from the west. This allows us to assess the wind and the team with the wind in their favour makes the move. We spotted a solo big bodied bull on the eastern flank, but couldn’t reel him in. He was moving away, faster than we could keep up and we couldn’t turn him. We leave him be for another day. Later we spot mule deer and elk high up on the ridge above us.

Day 3, back up on our north facing slope. We decide on a route that will take us up under the original pocket we had identified on day one. This will be a much further distance to hike, but we feel the approach is justified. Still in darkness, about 30 minutes before daylight, the elk in the basin start to light up. We are not far from a bull with cows located over to our east. We set up quickly, cow calling, raking and bugling. The interaction between ourselves and the bull sets off a cascade of bugling bulls in the basin. Never be fooled by the sound of a bugle. A 2 year old raghorn can sound as big and tough as a herd bull. Although, the real growlers represent the true ancients. Big majestic bulls that rule the mountain.

We fanned out, everyone aware of wind, and we give the low elevation person (my son) with the wind mostly in their favour, time to move forward. This is intended to guard against a bull trying to slip downwind or an escaping bull, slipping out the back door. We fan out from the point of contact, we want to advance quickly. One caller in back, and two moving directly toward the bull. We always go right at the bulls. It’s pre rut, you’ll know when a bull is coming in. It’s a beautiful thing – a bull coming in – with intent to hurt you or mate you. The hairs and nerves on your body alive, and you might start to consider your own safety. But at this time of year, they need a little motivation. The chance to steal a cow, they want to protect their honey hole, they don’t like trespassers. Watching the wind, we advance. He slips away. We reconvene, bugle and identify three more bulls bugling. Obvious choice, move in on the closest one where the early morning downdraft is still in our favour. We need to move through a back draw, and we’re aware the wind will be different in the draw, and once on the other side the wind may shift again. I take a stick in the eye and my son is concerned. We all take cuts and bruises. It isn’t easy country. But we’ve never felt so alive. We move quickly along active elk trails, moving as quietly but quickly as possible through big alders. We hustle up a steep bank to get off the alder trail. The bull moves off to our east into a little back bowl. As we move, we keep him engaged with bugling. We again, decide to fan out and move directly at him. One person high, one in the middle and another lower down. Keeping the wind in our favour meant each of us dropping in altitude and eventually about 75 yards out, being directly below what turned out to be a bachelor group of bulls. We played them for a while and they eventually squirted up and around to the south. Giving our shooters on the top side, ranges of just over 50 yards. As I spotted the bulls leaving I pulled out one of my loud cow calls and get on it steady. Thinking my buddy just needs a bit more time to get the shot off. Eventually the bull turns and I think he’s coming in. He takes a few steps directly towards my partners and then turns and moves off away from us. A departing bull is crazed by the loud cow call and bugles repeatedly. A good gauge of how close they might be to coming in. Next time perhaps.

Evening. We are back down the mountain and a short ways up the other side on the south facing slope of the mountain to the north. Still good elk country in open rocky ridges, but our real intention is to spot elk back in our north facing basin. With 3 or 4 good bulls identified, we make a plan for day 4.......