Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezing Sausages Question

Re: Freezing Sausages Question

Im certainly no expert, but in general ground meat doesnt last as long as whole cuts. We usually make 20lb batches at a time and often give around 5lbs away to friends and family. My family of 4 goes through that amount in a couple of months. I also put about 1/4 of the batch into patties (without stuffing into casings) as we use the sausage meat in pasta sauces etc.

I would probably want to eat frozen sausage within 6 months. Its probably fine longer, but 6 months is what I have heard is recommended by food/health people.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I usually just cut my game into roasts and the trimmings into ground. But we eat a lot of sausages.

Questions:

1) how long do your game sausages last in the freezer?
    2) would it be better to get them made up in batches - freeze some meat and get a new batch of sausage made up in, say, February?

Thanks

I also vacuum seal my sausages (6 per pack, which is a good amount for me and my family), so there is no issue with freezer burn.

Vacuum sealers have different thicknesses of bags. The thin ones will perforate if moved around too much. The saran wrap, then in wrapping paper last the longest. There are many thicknesses of wrapping paper too. Saran wrap then vacuum sealed does well for 3 years. It was salmon that found its way to the bottom of the freezer. My grand parents killed a cow every 4 years and froze the meat till the next kill. I was there for the skinning and gutting but others cut and wrapped it. It lasted 4 years in the freezer.
    I just started making sausages too. Right now they are just in ziplock bags. I will eat these fairly soon though. My future method will be saran wrap then vacuum sealed. Might cut back on the smell permeating the freezer right now. I want to wrap some individually with saran wrap so I can remove 1 or 2 and keep the rest frozen for later. I have 2 deco-sonic sealers. Might seal them in 2's for a quick lunch scenario.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Had some (130 pounds) of mixed game sausages made up at a Kamloops butcher but eating that much sausage makes you kind of tired of it so Id say small batches are better but hey, 4 years later, still good!!
    Can not imagine eating any sausage after four years. Don't keep canned food that long. If you make small batches of different flavours, you will not get too much of a good thing. LOL

We make smaller batches - don't plan on having game sausage in the freezer for more than 6 months. Typically, 15 pound batches each of two different spicing.
    I am also a believer in grinding partially frozen meat and keeping it cold through processing. All game meat is trimmed carefully to remove any traces of blood or tendon.
    In recent years our favourite use of deer sausage has been in a spicy Italian pasta sauce made with our own tomatoes.