Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Sausages Question

Hybrid View

Freezing Sausages Question

I usually just cut my game into roasts and the trimmings into ground. But we eat a lot of sausages.

Questions:

1) how long do your game sausages last in the freezer?
    2) would it be better to get them made up in batches - freeze some meat and get a new batch of sausage made up in, say, February?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Freezing Sausages Question

We do 30 pounds at a time so they usually get eaten in 3 to 4 months.

If you use a freezer bag vacuum (foodsaver) it really extends their life in the freezer
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Hmmm couple suggestions
    When making sausage use ice in the water, cold water for soaking hog casings overnight.
    Once sausages are made use a poke pin to allow any trapped air to escape.
    I use a vacutainer and 4mm bags ..chambersealer..
    Check all bags in 1 month for any frost on inside of bag..that one didnt seal..use first.
    With those in mind I have had sausage last 24 months.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Good advice above . Also for thought ! You can take frozen meat from the freezer and make sausages form them and then refreeze once sausages are made up . Let the meat defrost in a fridge at safe cold temperatures just above freezing,this is called Tempuring . Meat is best ground at cold temps to prevent fat smearing. Also if you have the room the grinder parts can be cold before using . If you have a cold place to do the processing of the sausages even better !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Good advice above . Also for thought ! You can take frozen meat from the freezer and make sausages form them and then refreeze once sausages are made up . Let the meat defrost in a fridge at safe cold temperatures just above freezing,this is called Tempuring . Meat is best ground at cold temps to prevent fat smearing. Also if you have the room the grinder parts can be cold before using . If you have a cold place to do the processing of the sausages even better !
    Arctic Lake
    Hmmm yes the worm gear and housing, plates and grinder knives get placed into freezer for couple hours..so meat doesnt warm up while processing..great point.
    Srupp

Had some (130 pounds) of mixed game sausages made up at a Kamloops butcher but eating that much sausage makes you kind of tired of it so Id say small batches are better but hey, 4 years later, still good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Had some (130 pounds) of mixed game sausages made up at a Kamloops butcher but eating that much sausage makes you kind of tired of it so Id say small batches are better but hey, 4 years later, still good!!
    Can not imagine eating any sausage after four years. Don't keep canned food that long. If you make small batches of different flavours, you will not get too much of a good thing. LOL

Got some mule deer turned into sausages last November, ate some last night without complaint

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I usually just cut my game into roasts and the trimmings into ground. But we eat a lot of sausages.

Questions:

1) how long do your game sausages last in the freezer?
    2) would it be better to get them made up in batches - freeze some meat and get a new batch of sausage made up in, say, February?

Thanks
    Been making sausage for over 40 years now. We typically do 60lbs at a time without any freezer damage. Every batch is either wrapped with saran wrap, then freezer paper or vacuum sealed. Either one has been good for a year or more.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.