Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Back in 2012 we had this thread;
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Moose-Problems

One thing is for certain with HuntingBC. Circle the Wagons.
    In that post from 2012 there was a comment from HBC member Boner he mentioned airial spraying . I have seen those cuts that have been replanted and I believe sprayed to keep willow and such from growing Its like a bloody Christmas tree farm . Those trees are packed in there ! No game trails no animals .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    In that post from 2012 there was a comment from HBC member Boner he mentioned airial spraying . I have seen those cuts that have been replanted and I believe sprayed to keep willow and such from growing Its like a bloody Christmas tree farm . Those trees are packed in there ! No game trails no animals .
    Arctic Lake
    I don't believe in spraying for a couple of reasons; 1. the use of chemicals will eventually be likened to the use of DDT: 2, the birches and aspens make the lodgepole pine grow to get above the canopy to make better logs. That dense Christmas tree farm will be short with lots of branches not even suitable to make pellets. Just a rabbit haven.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I don't believe in spraying for a couple of reasons; 1. the use of chemicals will eventually be likened to the use of DDT: 2, the birches and aspens make the lodgepole pine grow to get above the canopy to make better logs. That dense Christmas tree farm will be short with lots of branches not even suitable to make pellets. Just a rabbit haven.
    And the LYNX will Flourish there ! RJ

I believe that.....FN in this province, in this case the Chilcotin, intentionally hunted the Moose (cows) until the numbers were low enough that resident hunters and (others) had their opportunities taken away...and that was their goal. It may have achieved a goal set out by others (environmentalists) as they clearly supported the diminished opportunity for the hunting community.
    That along with the timing of the influx and explosion of Wolves is interesting too.

I dont know what is so hard to understand by some....you can wipe out an entire species in a short amount of time by simply repeatedly killing the females of any species, ie.. Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Arctic Lake
    Seven years later, I still stand by those two posts in that thread.

I was referring to a program that attempts to understand the real issue and not point fingers at the perceived issue. These threads just manifest hate and offer no solutions. I guess I sorta added to it with my comment re. priority vs. privilege, but that was out of frustration for the stupid unfounded analysis by srupp. If you look at any "totems" you will see that not much is recorded in the way of animals that sustained the FN populations. There are wolves/bears/ravens etc but no you will not see a rabbit or a deer or moose etc. so the analysis by srupp is bs. The other comment re. pit lamping, I too have seen the same activities and I don't agree with them, unless it was a traditional practice, where in some areas of the province using a light to hunt and fish was a traditional practice. At the same time I have witnessed non-native hunters, pit lamping and poaching, taking only the backstrap and tenderloin and leaving the remainder to rot, so how can you point fingers at First Nations and ignore the rest of the problem?

There are some level headed responses in this thread that attempt to look at the real issue, then someone again points fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by white moose View Post
    Puddle Jumper, maybe you could explain the program we are supposed to get with?? Maybe you should get with the program that i see. As a privileged hunter I believe in harvest and conservation. Seen a many pitlamp and waste by the people who are supposed to have priority.
    Srupp not trying to create chaos, its called reality

Hey new member here, this is my first post, but I'm gonna throw in my two cents for whatever it is worth. Puddle jumper is right in that legally the FN hunt is considered to be right whereas ours is considered a privilege. However in Canada the courts have also determined that no right is considered to be absolute and are often subject to what they decide to be reasonable limits. There may be ways to make the FN harvest more sustainable, but in order to do that and we need accurate numbers on moose being taken by FN communities. We have a pretty good idea of how many moose get taken by non indigenous hunters and we have assess to other data such as highway kills, calf mortality and depredation. But the value of this is greatly diminished when all the data we have on FN harvest is anecdotal at best. I think that the program that we need o get with is the reality that in 2019 we cannot afford to have an unregulated nor especially an unmonitered hunt.

As much as I would love to go my way or the highway when it comes to a great deal of FN issues there will never be the political will, even if there may be legal ground to stand on to pursue the to muscle through changes that we as non FN hunters would like to see. Especially given where electoral power is concentrated in the province and in the country. I think that as hunters we need to get more organized and engaged on these issues (I know there has been a significant amount of discussion lately on whether the BCWF is the best group to do so with, that's beside what I'm saying) but we'll have to go to the table on some issues with groups that we haven't always seen eye to eye with. If we make this our hill to die on I think surely we will die on it and our voices will be treated as less relevant then the already are to these debates. I think that most people on both sides want there to be enough moose that were not fighting over pieces of a shrinking pie, we have to figure out how to get there. If we ago to the able we may be able to get a more sizable number of FN communities to keep accurate records of moose harvest and that at least would be a start to figuring out what the problem and the numbers could be used to help manage populations by more then just guessing.

Its also worth adding hat even if a chief and band council are onside with limiting their own harvest of moose there is little that they can do under the indian act to enforce this on their own people and little that the co's can, believe they can or are permitted to do to charge and prosecute FN who hunt moose outside of their own territories or against wishes of their band. Essentially all a band can do is to ask nicely that their members don't poach. A law without enforcement is hardly a law. This also makes this a federal issue and even harder to resolve

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    I was referring to a program that attempts to understand the real issue and not point fingers at the perceived issue. These threads just manifest hate and offer no solutions. I guess I sorta added to it with my comment re. priority vs. privilege, but that was out of frustration for the stupid unfounded analysis by srupp. If you look at any "totems" you will see that not much is recorded in the way of animals that sustained the FN populations. There are wolves/bears/ravens etc but no you will not see a rabbit or a deer or moose etc. so the analysis by srupp is bs. The other comment re. pit lamping, I too have seen the same activities and I don't agree with them, unless it was a traditional practice, where in some areas of the province using a light to hunt and fish was a traditional practice. At the same time I have witnessed non-native hunters, pit lamping and poaching, taking only the backstrap and tenderloin and leaving the remainder to rot, so how can you point fingers at First Nations and ignore the rest of the problem?

There are some level headed responses in this thread that attempt to look at the real issue, then someone again points fingers.
    Hmm..get with what....another indian program to get more. .get it all ?
    I owe you nothing at all..I dont even have sympathy for your lack of self respect..always demanding..begging..pathetic.no wonder your youth have given up..no self respect.
    I pay my own bills..why should I pay yours.
    I stand by my stance..local indians are demanding 100% of the moose that were not historically resident here.
    There is no record of indian ceremonial, sustenance use..no significant written, no oral history, no totem depictions...
    Hmmmm hold it..puddlejumper..isnt that a bingo game breaking out..ya gotta go man..no need to come back..
    Mr.Rupp..to you

I rest my case!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm..get with what....another indian program to get more. .get it all ?
    I owe you nothing at all..I dont even have sympathy for your lack of self respect..always demanding..begging..pathetic.no wonder your youth have given up..no self respect.
    I pay my own bills..why should I pay yours.
    I stand by my stance..local indians are demanding 100% of the moose that were not historically resident here.
    There is no record of indian ceremonial, sustenance use..no significant written, no oral history, no totem depictions...
    Hmmmm hold it..puddlejumper..isnt that a bingo game breaking out..ya gotta go man..no need to come back..
    Mr.Rupp..to you

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    I rest my case!

You NEVER had a CASE ? UNLESS ?? are you a FN person ? RJ