Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

Not dark...just too busy hunting and hanging my moose that will feed a family of 5! Anyways, just for the record I don't disagree that moose moved in to areas of the province 100 years ago, give or take a few years. But what I do disagree on is the pointing of fingers on indigenous peoples. There are a number of reasons for the decline of moose populations and one of them may be the changing conditions, just as moose moved in, perhaps they are moving out and areas where they were abundant and the forage doesn't support those numbers anymore they are being over harvested by all users. For the record, 1200 moose where reported harvested last year between the Skeena to the Chilcotin regions last year.

I also agree that everyone should report their harvest so that we can get a handle on what is actually being harvested vs. what is available. If the hunt is not sustainable then reduce the number of tags available. In one area, 10 or so years ago there were 900 moose enumerated during a census. 5 years later there where 60 and the same number of tags were available for that area as when there were 900. I know of 2 non-native persons, as lucky as they are that have harvested 2 moose each year in the same area for the past 5 years, this is one family of 2.

Further, as mentioned the earlier argument re. the epitomizing moose or other animals of sustenance on "totems" rarely occurs. That interpretation provided by SRUPP is complete BS. With regards to the statement on First Nations going back to Mongolia to talk to their relatives, wouldn't that equate to the settlers going back to Europe and exercising the privilege that was afforded to them by the aristocrats if they were lucky enough to actually hunt? Actually, if you think about it First Nations have been harvesting here for 1000's of years regardless of the species and europeans have been harvesting here for what maybe 200 years and with the increasing hunting population the situation has gotten to the point where the blame is being placed on the First Nations?

But the overall point of this thread is that moose management should be applied equally to all users, native and non-native alike, to which I agree, so use the provincial estimate of what First Nations harvest per year and then apply the same number to the amount of GOS and LEH permits available.

Hmmm no evidence of moose here, no histerical..err historical depictions of such a important animal so absolutely vital to local indians..no totem depictipns..no stories handed down..no archeological finds..yet indians are demanding first sevond final dibs on all moose..the only bullshit is the demands for more..oink oink..all moose for 3% of population so used to getting their hind ends kissed..
    In the process losing all their dignity..demands are only begging in a loud tone..thats the true BS
    Mr Rupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm no evidence of moose here, no histerical..err historical depictions of such a important animal so absolutely vital to local indians..no totem depictipns..no stories handed down..no archeological finds..yet indians are demanding first sevond final dibs on all moose..the only bullshit is the demands for more..oink oink..all moose for 3% of population so used to getting their hind ends kissed..
    In the process losing all their dignity..demands are only begging in a loud tone..thats the true BS
    Mr Rupp
    Must have been tipping a few early this am SRUPP. You seemed to have lost your dignity and ability to be coherent!

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    Not dark...just too busy hunting and hanging my moose that will feed a family of 5! Anyways, just for the record I don't disagree that moose moved in to areas of the province 100 years ago, give or take a few years. But what I do disagree on is the pointing of fingers on indigenous peoples. There are a number of reasons for the decline of moose populations and one of them may be the changing conditions, just as moose moved in, perhaps they are moving out and areas where they were abundant and the forage doesn't support those numbers anymore they are being over harvested by all users. For the record, 1200 moose where reported harvested last year between the Skeena to the Chilcotin regions last year.

I also agree that everyone should report their harvest so that we can get a handle on what is actually being harvested vs. what is available. If the hunt is not sustainable then reduce the number of tags available. In one area, 10 or so years ago there were 900 moose enumerated during a census. 5 years later there where 60 and the same number of tags were available for that area as when there were 900. I know of 2 non-native persons, as lucky as they are that have harvested 2 moose each year in the same area for the past 5 years, this is one family of 2.

Further, as mentioned the earlier argument re. the epitomizing moose or other animals of sustenance on "totems" rarely occurs. That interpretation provided by SRUPP is complete BS. With regards to the statement on First Nations going back to Mongolia to talk to their relatives, wouldn't that equate to the settlers going back to Europe and exercising the privilege that was afforded to them by the aristocrats if they were lucky enough to actually hunt? Actually, if you think about it First Nations have been harvesting here for 1000's of years regardless of the species and europeans have been harvesting here for what maybe 200 years and with the increasing hunting population the situation has gotten to the point where the blame is being placed on the First Nations?

But the overall point of this thread is that moose management should be applied equally to all users, native and non-native alike, to which I agree, so use the provincial estimate of what First Nations harvest per year and then apply the same number to the amount of GOS and LEH permits available.
    I appreciate your reply PJ. Are you able to answer my questions to you directly. Like "what's wrong with FN reporting their harvest"? It would help all of us.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post

The finger pointing on FNs is because some, definitely not all, but some over harvest the resource because "it's their right" and will hammer cows & calves on an already declining population..here in reg 8 where I reside the moose pops are apparently steady, but there are a few FNs that abuse "their right"..

Harvest rights are abused by all.
    Yesterday I was told of 8 moose taken by one party.
    The group had 2 LEH tags and were caught while trying to move 2 moose out of the area with the intentions of coming back for 2 more until they were all moved out to where the 8 moose were legal.
    The clowns are being charged.
    Srupp....you don’t get far enough from your couch or pickup seat to really know what’s going on out there.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I appreciate your reply PJ. Are you able to answer my questions to you directly. Like "what's wrong with FN reporting their harvest"? It would help all of us.
    Great Point 180.......

I have presented recommendations to Gov and those involved with setting regulation that we must have MANDATORY REPORTING by all user groups including FNs and been tuned down time and time again.
    Nope, wont happen, FNs have gov in their back pocket, they seem to think they are above the law, answer to nobody, want to set their own rules ....... its BS is what it is.
    1 law for all. ACCOUNTABILITY by all.

Without Accountability, we will never have Sustainability.

IMO, its many FNs goals that all Fish and Wildlife are all theirs, and no one other than them should be allowed to harvest. Complete BS !

Many sure like to pick n choose the things they like that whitey has brought to this country, but still many like to point the finger, look what whitey has destroyed. Hypocrites.

No matter who you are, Stand up and be Accountable. The future is in your hands.

BV.......if your statement on 1 group harvesting 8 moose with only 2 legally available is indeed true, this should be dealt with to the Max penalties possible. Charge these pricks, confiscate all gear and equipment, trucks campers, boats, rifles you name it, auction off and the proceeds back to wildlife. Lifetime bans on hunting in BC should be another hurt put on these types...... this should hit national news and make examples of these ass shats. IMO
    Last edited by guest; 10-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Here’s something to consider....when ALL become accountable for numbers SOME are not going to like the end result.
    Harvest opportunities will be slashed....and not the FN share.
    Something for you boys to think about.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Here’s something to consider....when ALL become accountable for numbers SOME are not going to like the end result.
    Harvest opportunities will be slashed....and not the FN share.
    Something for you boys to think about.
    So be it then. This isnt about take all you can get now, because nothing will be left soon. It should be about sustainability, the future, for years to come. To those holding back numbers and honesty.....With out real numbers, accurate numbers, our bios and managers will continue to manage the way they have for too long. Look where that has us.
    Again, accountability by EVERYONE, by all, every user group, or zero sustainability is in the future, were slowly getting there with the system we have had and continue to have.
    So with the attitude, have at er well you can, its not going to last, our hunting future of our traditions and heritage will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    So be it then. This isnt about take all you can get now, because nothing will be left soon. It should be about sustainability, the future, for years to come. To those holding back numbers and honesty.....With out real numbers, accurate numbers, our bios and managers will continue to manage the way they have for too long. Look where that has us.
    Again, accountability by EVERYONE, by all, every user group, or zero sustainability is in the future, were slowly getting there with the system we have had and continue to have.
    So with the attitude, have at er well you can, its not going to last, our hunting future of our traditions and heritage will be gone.
    Don’t blow a gasket curly top....some of us are actually working for future improvements.
    Mouthing off on here doesn’t get a damn thing done.