Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

Hmmm again. .no references to moose in ceremonial or sustenance use..no archaeological history..no totem poles..ravens but not moose.
    no historical native or non native telling of moose in 1800, s
    Only thing being discussed is current value..not historical signigicance.
    Srupp

Well you see Steve, the chilcotin/cariboo used to be overrun by elk which sustained the food requirements of the First Nations along with deer, sheep and salmon and resident fish species, the settlers deemed these elk as a detriment to their ranching business and so they wiped them out. Moose migrated in with logging etc. and supplemented the loss of elk meat, hence the current value. Similarly the early pioneers of the region, also only started hunting moose around the same time that they migrated in from the east and north. First Nations have priority and you are a privileged hunter so suck it up and quite trying to create chaos. This is the 21st century, get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm again. .no references to moose in ceremonial or sustenance use..no archaeological history..no totem poles..ravens but not moose.
    no historical native or non native telling of moose in 1800, s
    Only thing being discussed is current value..not historical signigicance.
    Srupp

Puddle Jumper, maybe you could explain the program we are supposed to get with?? Maybe you should get with the program that i see. As a privileged hunter I believe in harvest and conservation. Seen a many pitlamp and waste by the people who are supposed to have priority.
    Srupp not trying to create chaos, its called reality

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Surely someone has compiled historical BC moose distribution and density records for the last 150 years.
    Yes, no?
    If not, it is critical that this work is done with urgency.

I have always found it interesting to hear reports that moose were not present in large areas of BC in the recent past.
    This doesn't make sense as most of BC is decent moose habitat, and begs the question, WHY?

It seems to me that current concerns of moose declines would benefit by knowing historical distribution and an understanding of causes that extirpated moose from much of BC

Regarding allocations, this historical information would compose the foundation for an intervenor to support keeping moose accessible to ALL people.
    Dr Ian McTaggert Cowan compiled a ungulate list for BC but as far as I know, no population densities.

Dr James Hatter wrote his doctoral thesis on moose in the Cariboo (1948-9) and there may have been some reference to population inventory. What I remember of Hatter's thesis is that he made the assumption that moose were going into a decline because of the moose population explosion of the post arrival years. He bet his guide (big game type like bearvalley) that the guide could not show Hatter one red willow (osier dogwood) that has not been browsed. They traveled the entire region form the south Cariboo to Prince George and there was not one osier that had not been browsed.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 09-12-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
    Well you see Steve, the chilcotin/cariboo used to be overrun by elk which sustained the food requirements of the First Nations along with deer, sheep and salmon and resident fish species, the settlers deemed these elk as a detriment to their ranching business and so they wiped them out. Moose migrated in with logging etc. and supplemented the loss of elk meat, hence the current value. Similarly the early pioneers of the region, also only started hunting moose around the same time that they migrated in from the east and north. First Nations have priority and you are a privileged hunter so suck it up and quite trying to create chaos. This is the 21st century, get with the program.
    You are in the minority and you know what's gonna happen when push comes to shove.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Valerius Geist should know the answer to all things moose !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    You are in the minority and you know what's gonna happen when push comes to shove.
    hmmm I took this as tongue in cheek. .and certainly hope he was in jest.puddle jumpers comments
    he is not the first to take a run at my views..lol
    Hmmmm
    Steven

Back in 2012 we had this thread;
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Moose-Problems

One thing is for certain with HuntingBC. Circle the Wagons.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

chilly hillbilly : Quote

Re: Larry Pynn on BC's Moose Problems

270boy, I think you need to go back to school. natural cycle my a$$!! You are forgetting that people are part of the equation. Access is the biggest contributer to this problem. FN harvest due to to much access and their targeting of cows is a big problem. With moose declining the wolves are targeting cattle more and more which is hitting the ranchers in the pocket book big time. As long as there are other food sources the wolves population will not decrease like you think. The protection of the so called wild horses by the FN's is also a major problem especially south of highway 20 where the horse herds have grown to the thousands. How much habitat is being taken from these farrel horses?

Good POST 2012 ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    chilly hillbilly : Quote

Re: Larry Pynn on BC's Moose Problems

270boy, I think you need to go back to school. natural cycle my a$$!! You are forgetting that people are part of the equation. Access is the biggest contributer to this problem. FN harvest due to to much access and their targeting of cows is a big problem. With moose declining the wolves are targeting cattle more and more which is hitting the ranchers in the pocket book big time. As long as there are other food sources the wolves population will not decrease like you think. The protection of the so called wild horses by the FN's is also a major problem especially south of highway 20 where the horse herds have grown to the thousands. How much habitat is being taken from these farrel horses?

Good POST 2012 ! RJ
    I agree Jim good post, by the way it's "feral" OJ
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕