Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

It starts by erasing that line in the sand and understanding our similarities more then our differences. Once we are both on the same side we then can start to force them to make changes.
    We have grown up understanding where we stand and it makes it difficult for us to think otherwise.
    I have said before that in order for Indigenous people to heal from the after effects of colonialism they will need to go back to cultural idealism and philosophies. This takes time.
    Once we are all reading the same book with the same language, things will start to work itself out.
    I have also said before that the Indian Act needs to go and the country needs to work out something once and for all and end the different group status which is part of the problem.
    I know its not a simple solution but its something that has to start somewhere and by somebody. I am willing to work with anyone who wants equality and fairness for everyone even if it means I lose certain privileges in the process. There are much more important things in life then that anyways.
    Well edgar, YOU may well want to remove the line in the sand, but the reality is that the majority of FN people do not. If the FN TRULY wanted to eliminate the "different group status" you mention, it would be quite simple....a call to gov't from FN to have "indigenous rights" removed from the constitution, abolish the indian act and all treaties along with it.
    But thats never going to happen. what possible motivation could FN have to put themselves on level footing with the rest of Canada.

As an example...lets take moose hunting. If the non FN stakeholders came to the table and said, "we'd really like to work with FN for healthy moose numbers and sound harvest management. We recognize your right to hunt moose, and seeing as your people are 10% of the population, we have no problem with your people getting 10% of the allocation. We'd like tags (free) to be used and would like harvest reporting to ensure we don't go over allocation"
    ........how well do you think that would go over??? we all know the FN rep would laugh and walk away.

FN certainly feel as though they were vistimized in the past.....non FN feel as though they are being victimized NOW.....not hard to understand the animosity.....VERY hard to change it
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Its only BS because you cannot get past your hatred. Redirecting to another situation(China) is just dodging the situation. The "common ground" is that we all share mother earth. This matters because we all need the planet to survive. We not only need it but our children and grandchildren also need it to. Greed, jealousy, money and the need for power cloud our judgement on what really matters.
    Everyone has the right to heal no matter who they are. Many don't know how to do this. Society and those that run the world don't want everyone to heal how can they profit off of that? You see the big picture?
    Progress is happening its just going at a slow rate. A lot of things that were lost; language,culture,spirituality are coming back and those that were traumatized are getting help from those who have now healed themselves.
    I know from a friend who is involved in Band business says that they have agreements with fisheries for conservation, he also said that they were part of the group that released Elk into the Harrison Lake area. Not all bands are like this but like I said, not all have healed yet.
    Knowledge is our best friend and I urge you to learn as much as you can. We know if we just watch the local news channels it paints a picture of mostly doom and gloom around the world. We cannot get caught up in this as this is not what is really happening in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by edgar11 View Post
    Its only BS because you cannot get past your hatred. Redirecting to another situation(China) is just dodging the situation. The "common ground" is that we all share mother earth. This matters because we all need the planet to survive. We not only need it but our children and grandchildren also need it to. Greed, jealousy, money and the need for power cloud our judgement on what really matters.
    Everyone has the right to heal no matter who they are. Many don't know how to do this. Society and those that run the world don't want everyone to heal how can they profit off of that? You see the big picture?
    Progress is happening its just going at a slow rate. A lot of things that were lost; language,culture,spirituality are coming back and those that were traumatized are getting help from those who have now healed themselves.
    I know from a friend who is involved in Band business says that they have agreements with fisheries for conservation, he also said that they were part of the group that released Elk into the Harrison Lake area. Not all bands are like this but like I said, not all have healed yet.
    Knowledge is our best friend and I urge you to learn as much as you can. We know if we just watch the local news channels it paints a picture of mostly doom and gloom around the world. We cannot get caught up in this as this is not what is really happening in the world.
    There is not an argument in your statement. It's a lamentation..........
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Why are you special?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Jan 13th

[QUOTE=edgar11;2124656]It starts by erasing that line in the sand and understanding our similarities more then our differences. Once we are both on the same side we then can start to force them to make changes.

edgar How do you purpose to get that DONE when the most FN's don't want it erased ? Pretty TUFF to get on the same side - EH RJ

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Well edgar, YOU may well want to remove the line in the sand, but the reality is that the majority of FN people do not. If the FN TRULY wanted to eliminate the "different group status" you mention, it would be quite simple....a call to gov't from FN to have "indigenous rights" removed from the constitution, abolish the indian act and all treaties along with it.
    But thats never going to happen. what possible motivation could FN have to put themselves on level footing with the rest of Canada.

As an example...lets take moose hunting. If the non FN stakeholders came to the table and said, "we'd really like to work with FN for healthy moose numbers and sound harvest management. We recognize your right to hunt moose, and seeing as your people are 10% of the population, we have no problem with your people getting 10% of the allocation. We'd like tags (free) to be used and would like harvest reporting to ensure we don't go over allocation"
    ........how well do you think that would go over??? we all know the FN rep would laugh and walk away.

FN certainly feel as though they were vistimized in the past.....non FN feel as though they are being victimized NOW.....not hard to understand the animosity.....VERY hard to change it
    I think those that are true to their values and ethics would not have a problem working towards conservation. The problem is that the government is not very trusworthy so the leaders are a little apprehensive of "promises". Can you blame them? History shows their not very trustworthy.
    So they would have to go to the table with conservation on EVERYONE'S mind. I think that that if a sound plan was set in place, both parties could come to some type of agreement. I would suggest having Elders on hand to keep the leaders on track with conservation.
    We understand that their are legitimate reasons for hunting and that there are some that just abuse it. If you are hunting for legitimate reasons(i.e. Ceremony) then apply for this. There is no reason for one person to go out and shoot dozens of game just because they can. Both sides would agree with this and would support some kind of retribution for abusers.
    Its not impossible it just has to start somewhere. Arguing and fighting about who is right and wrong is going to get us nowhere.
    You right, change would not go over with everyone but everyone would agree that the system in place right now is flawed and there needs to be a process to have change. I have ideas but it would take pages to explain. I am sure though that the divide has to end before any progress will be made and this has to start with us.

Why are you special?
    I am not special and that is what I am trying to say. We are equal its just that the powers that be would like to have us divided for gain.

I pray for rainbows too.....Just like Justin and his dad.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA

Collectivism is Slavery

Jan 13th

[QUOTE=REMINGTON JIM;2124705]
    It starts by erasing that line in the sand and understanding our similarities more then our differences. Once we are both on the same side we then can start to force them to make changes.

edgar How do you purpose to get that DONE when the most FN's don't want it erased ? Pretty TUFF to get on the same side - EH RJ
    I think education is the key to everything. Understanding makes things so much clearer and allows people to think without emotion. Anger fuels alot of these discussions and we all know that we say things differently when we are emotional and think clearer once we calm down.
    If everyone understands that a plan would benefit everyone, then we may have more and more want the changes.

I pray for rainbows too.....Just like Justin and his dad.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=671AgW9xSiA
    Unfortunately politicians have their own agenda and it has nothing to do with you and me.