Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BC moose hunting history

Re: BC moose hunting history

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    .................................................. ................................................

Hey 180, I think Chilcotin Hillbilly went to more meetings than I did, he may be privy to minutes.

Thanks for the info PJ, hopefully something good will come out of this! K

WoW ! lots going on in this thread ! Some Interesting Facts and Interesting BS too ! Whats What ? RJ

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Don’t blow a gasket curly top....some of us are actually working for future improvements.
    Mouthing off on here doesn’t get a damn thing done.
    Where do you get off on Curly Top blowing a gasket
    HTML Code:
     Originally Posted by bearvalleyHere’s something to consider....when ALL become accountable for numbers SOME are not going to like the end result.
    Harvest opportunities will be slashed....and not the FN share.
    Something for you boys to think about."

"So be it then. This isnt about take all you can get now, because nothing will be left soon. It should be about sustainability, the future, for years to come. To those holding back numbers and honesty.....With out real numbers, accurate numbers, our bios and managers will continue to manage the way they have for too long. Look where that has us.
    Again, accountability by EVERYONE, by all, every user group, or zero sustainability is in the future, were slowly getting there with the system we have had and continue to have.
    So with the attitude, have at er well you can, its not going to last, our hunting future of our traditions and heritage will be gone.
    All he did was expound precisely what you were implying.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Where do you get off on Curly Top blowing a gasket
    HTML Code:
     Originally Posted by bearvalleyHere’s something to consider....when ALL become accountable for numbers SOME are not going to like the end result.
    Something for you boys to think about."

"So be it then. This isnt about take all you can get now, because nothing will be left soon. It should be about sustainability, the future, for years to come. To those holding back numbers and honesty.....With out real numbers, accurate numbers, our bios and managers will continue to manage the way they have for too long. Look where that has us.
    Again, accountability by EVERYONE, by all, every user group, or zero sustainability is in the future, were slowly getting there with the system we have had and continue to have.
    So with the attitude, have at er well you can, its not going to last, our hunting future of our traditions and heritage will be gone.
    All he did was expound precisely what you were implying.
    Dennis, my statement about mouthing off on here wasn’t just directed at curly.
    Maybe all the ones that are so sure that FN over harvest is such a major problem should start taking pictures, documenting facts or whatever it takes to prove this wanton killing is happening.
    From my observations the FN harvest is not even close to what it was in the past.
    lf and when the day comes and it is shown that the FN harvested share of wildlife is closer to the 25% range instead of the 50% they are allocated there will be a lot of howling & moaning from the maximum opportunity crowd.
    That group is going to find out in a hurry they are taking over their share.

Here’s something to consider....when ALL become accountable for numbers SOME are not going to like the end result.
    Something for you boys to think about.
    This is fearmongering.

Statements made, without statements being made. Why so innocuous?

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Hey 180, I think Chilcotin Hillbilly went to more meetings than I did, he may be privy to minutes.
    Hopefully, he'll chime in here somewhere with that information.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Ok I’ll add a few ideas on the original question. We have lots of evidence that moose were a late arrival in BC. Here in Smithers they were not present until the 20th century. But interesting enough there was a moose antler found in a swamp nearby that dated back thousands of years so maybe they were here then disappeared, then came back. This used to be a caribou ecosystem. Not just on the mountains but in the valley bottom. Moose Valley north of Fort st James is called that because it’s where the local First Nations first encountered moose.

Why did Moose move south? Well the idea that the railway created the habitat is interesting but there is piles of habitat on flood plains, swamps, and in old growth forests that existed before the railway, so I don’t think that holds up. So maybe the moose just took a long time to get here... or maybe factors like the little ice age played a role. We will probably never really know but it is pretty clear that moose were not as widely distributed or abundant at contact than today. And as Srupp points out the reliance by First Nations on Moose is relatively recent.

I agree that moose may not always have been a part of FN history, but unfortunatly their argument will quickly change. They will say that with the decline of of salmon and competition with resident hunters over game etc. that they rely on the moose as sustenance hunters as their primary food source. This doesn’t affect the fact that ALL harvests need to be reported so that the population can be properly managed. That’s an irrefutable fact.

Dennis, my statement about mouthing off on here wasn’t just directed at curly.
    Maybe all the ones that are so sure that FN over harvest is such a major problem should start taking pictures, documenting facts or whatever it takes to prove this wanton killing is happening.
    From my observations the FN harvest is not even close to what it was in the past.
    lf and when the day comes and it is shown that the FN harvested share of wildlife is closer to the 25% range instead of the 50% they are allocated there will be a lot of howling & moaning from the maximum opportunity crowd.
    That group is going to find out in a hurry they are taking over their share.
    Cows calfs bulls bucks does fawns you name it bud . 24-7. Highly unregulated . Augest to febuary mostly . Not uncommon . Mostly cows/does with 10-20% being bucks/bulls . If its brown its down. What maximum opportunity crowd are you refering too? People who pay everyyear to hunt from sep -dec? Can only hunt from sunrise to sunset ? Resrictions in certain areas? I will tell you one thing ... i am native ... i am papered... i hunt from sept 1st to dec 20th i buy licences and tags . I hunt on crown land during open season from sunrise to sunset . I ABIDE by all laws put in place to protect wildlife .. i do not hunt on band land at anytime like i can . Or claim traditional territory and pull the race card on crown land .

If i hunted like the rest playing the race card my season would last a few days at best .

Moral is as EVERYYEAR from my area HUNDREDS of animals taken at night . Before and after OUR season. By only a handfull of "hunters" .

There is absolutly overharvest happening every. Single. year .

One land one law .

If we all put in the $ the time and abide by rules and have some morals and quit phukin fighting all the time and put our heads together things might get beter for a change .

United we stand devided we fall . And its showing .

Mc
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”