Thread: What terrain to look for to find elk

Hybrid View

What terrain to look for to find elk

Hi Everyone,

So I've finally got some time off for elk hunting in region 7b. I haven't got anything bigger than a grouse since I started hunting in 2014.

I don't want anyone's honey hole. I was just looking for some advice on places to look for potential elk. Should I be looking for rivers, swamps, crown next to farmland etc? Everyone keeps saying they hear bugling in the Peace but I haven't heard anything. I called in a cow today but there wasn't really many tracks around.

The only thing I do right now is drive until I see a quad trail, follow it and bugle every 100-200 yards down the trail. I'd like to have a little more knowledge when it comes to what to look for so it's not so random.

Do you stay away from areas with busy gas plant roads?
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-11-2019 at 08:36 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What terrain to look for to find elk

They can be on the mountain top, or on the river banks, or the forest in between. They leave lots of sign, if you find sign focus on the area. If you don't find sign they aren't there. Keep looking.

Elk are versatile... they are in the mountain tops and the valley bottoms it's basically where the elk want to be that week... elk move on and adapt quickly . I have seen elk in an area for 3 years then gone non existent the next 2 . Put in the footwork and you will find them

why are you looking for a quad trail? Going in a couple hundred meters is no different than bugling at the truck. One tactic could be to drive around after dark and shut the truck off and let some bugles rip from the truck after 5 min of silence. See if you can locate the elk up a valley to hunt the next morning
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    why are you looking for a quad trail? Going in a couple hundred meters is no different than bugling at the truck. One tactic could be to drive around after dark and shut the truck off and let some bugles rip from the truck after 5 min of silence. See if you can locate the elk up a valley to hunt the next morning
    I'm not literally looking for quad trails. Just trails big enough to fit a quad. Any bigger then I have to deal with side by sides. I only walk in 2kms at most because I end up doubting myself after a few hundred yards of seeing no sign.

Good news is, I just heard my first bugle today.