Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting with Google Earth: What are you looking for?

Re: Scouting with Google Earth: What are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Think about it this way, go out, scout, find the animal of your choosing, note the habitat (not just the topography), access, water etc and "then" go to Google earth and find similar scenarios. And investigate again to confirm your findings.
    Awesome , I couldn't agree more with you

Exactly J_T - go find some animals then look on Google earth to try and figure out why they are there...........natural funnel, water, feed, bedding - close to a coffee shop etc etc.
    Get out, look around and you will figure it out.
    Internet hunting is not the shortcut to finding game
    Think about it this way, go out, scout, find the animal of your choosing, note the habitat (not just the topography), access, water etc and "then" go to Google earth and find similar scenarios. And investigate again to confirm your findings.

That's exactly why I'm looking at areas like this.

That said, I feel like even though I know they are there in at least small numbers I still don't know what I'm looking for when I want to explore a new place such as the last one I posted.

I see water sources, clearly can't tell what the food is like from google earth, or the visibility when on the ground.

I have no idea how to know if an area looks like it would hold deer, bear, etc. on a regular basis. All I know is that in all likelihood every area around here will have them wander through at some point.

Anyone care to explain what to look for as far as feeding goes in areas like this? People say to go to cut blocks... which are best? active blocks? recent blocks? 5 year old blocks? Blocks with 3 to 5 foot tall growth? etc. I have always felt like hunting a block is less likely to provide what I'm looking for than getting into the bush away from them.

What I end up looking for are areas that have pockets of little to no tree coverage and a close water source. I figure the areas with little tree coverage will allow us to see game more easily and may be a feeding area. However the areas are sometimes small and can only hold so much food. They would also provide nearby bedding areas.

Whoever posted the MeatEater video (thanks). I watched that when it was released, as well as many other videos on YouTube regarding finding deer. Most however seem to be explaining farm land hunting rather than what we get here in region 2. I know it's similar, but I have a hard time determining what a good food source is in these areas.

To be clear, I've been here. I've seen them around the area but still don't understand exactly what to look for.

What is the animal you are looking for? What is your weapon for pursuit? What do you think is your strategy on approach? Spot and stalk? Still hunting? Calling? Some factors go into finding the most suitable spot for you and your style. I'll work with you... but you have to help.

I like the area between the lakes near the center of the pic for where they might feed at night ...down below the bigger lake is some thicker timber the does might head for as light comes..that whole knob below the lake would be where I would expect them to go...from the bottom picture, I would expect the bucks to want to get higher and might be either near the top right ridge near the bare peak and along that ridge or down bottom left moving up that last draw up to that ridge.....personally I like the look of that whole valley and would push my way through it with a couple of others from one side to the other...looks like a good spot all in all

What is the animal you are looking for? What is your weapon for pursuit? What do you think is your strategy on approach? Spot and stalk? Still hunting? Calling? Some factors go into finding the most suitable spot for you and your style. I'll work with you... but you have to help.
    Hey, thanks.

You make a good point. We're hunting Mule and Blacktail deer. We got a Mule here 2 years ago. Using rifles. To be honest we are still learning and I guess it depends on our mood and / or the location we find that dictates our approach to the situation.

For the last spot I posted a picture of (with lakes)...

Game plan #1
    If tree growth and height allows I'd like to get up on a ridge and glass, I could easily do this all day and enjoy myself.

Game plan #2
    Make our way to the 3 small bodies of water on the lower right side and look for sign (watching for sign on the way). We would do the same between the larger lakes as this area looks like it might have slightly more visibility.

Things we've noticed when looking at the picture I posted...

• Between the two larger bodies of water on the left, and the three smaller bodies of water on the right is what looks to be a natural "path" that connects the two locations together. I imagine that this might be a good line to follow when looking for sign. There are also many small streams that seem to run between other small water bodies that are not as visible.
    • I imagine that when bedding down they would prefer dense cover. It looks like the most dense area here is right below he largest lake and to the right of the one above it.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I like the area between the lakes near the center of the pic for where they might feed at night ...down below the bigger lake is some thicker timber the does might head for as light comes..that whole knob below the lake would be where I would expect them to go...from the bottom picture, I would expect the bucks to want to get higher and might be either near the top right ridge near the bare peak and along that ridge or down bottom left moving up that last draw up to that ridge.....personally I like the look of that whole valley and would push my way through it with a couple of others from one side to the other...looks like a good spot all in all
    Do bucks want to be up high most of the time? Would time be better spent searching higher rather than lower? Should we check draws for sign? (I had to google what a "draw" was as I always forget.)

Thanks everyone. Hopefully others can learn from this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Hello everyone,

I hunt regions 2, 3, 8. Regions 3 and 8 are too far to go to on a regular weekend trip for us so we enjoy trying areas of region 2. The image below is a typical type of area we would pass through and be able to stop at. Any game taken in Region two has been more luck and persistence than knowing where to look, hence this post.

If you look at the below photos as an example of armchair-scouting Mule deer in region 2, where would you focus and why?

Please feel free to post images of the types of terrain you would focus on in this type of landscape. it would help us a lot.

Numbers on first image are rough elevation.

Images https://imgur.com/a/fOUHNzT

Thanks!
    I find the same issue when I look at Google Earth ! Yes I can see water ie. creeks,rivers, lakes, but the vegetation or lack of is confusing for ME ! How old are the images we view ? Why can we not get updated images ? Man there is enough of those satellites up there ,LOL
    Any answers would be appreciated !
    Arctic Lake

In my hunting, I don't always find mule deer at the top of the mtn. They move up and down depending a lot on the weather. So when you hunt them, they could be anywhere. One thing I have found, in the morning, they like to increase their elevation and find a spot to bed. They like to be out of the wind. South facing slope, warm, no bugs. There is some good reading on mule deer. Have you read some of these?

http://www.sgrc.selkirk.ca/bioatlas/...h_Columbia.pdf

If that link doesn't work I have the pdf and can send it if that works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I find the same issue when I look at Google Earth ! Yes I can see water ie. creeks,rivers, lakes, but the vegetation or lack of is confusing for ME ! How old are the images we view ? Why can we not get updated images ? Man there is enough of those satellites up there ,LOL
    Any answers would be appreciated !
    Arctic Lake
    Yeah, the lack of vegetation gets me too. At least what I would consider good feeding vegetation, clearly I don't know what I'm looking for. More than likely it just can't be seen from space sometimes depending what it is.

I can tell you that the images viewed on google earth will tell you how old they are. These ones are from 2016, you can also go back in time to previous years, months, etc. Sometimes an update will skip 6 years, so from 2010 the next update might not be until 2016.