Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Helmet when hunting?

Re: Helmet when hunting?

The first thing your insurance company will ask you is "were you wearing a helmet". The same if you are a witness.

I wear a BMX lid when on my dirtbike for hunting. I'm not going fast, I can shoot with it on, and I've had plenty of bad spills off of bicycles with similar helmets and come away (relatively) unscathed.
    It's also vented so I can either wear a thin fleece toque/merino buff under it, or if it's warmer, my head stays cool.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

LEH moose hunt last fall with 2 good buddies. They both on ATVs me on my Honda dirt bike. I've been motorcycling since 1976 & wearing helmet is 2nd nature. Neither of my buds wore helmets on their ATVs during the 2 weeks of our hunt. No spills or injuries thankfully, but we took 1 day to ride a lengthy loop around the area reaching some pretty hefty speeds on the FSRs. Their noggins, their choice, but wearing helmet is automatic for me.

The off-road vehicle regulation does state:

21 (1) Subject to subsection (3), a person must not use, operate or be a passenger on an all-terrain vehicle, motorcycle or snowmobile on Crown land or prescribed private land, unless the person wears an off-road vehicle safety helmet.

but it also defines an all-terrain vehicle:

"all-terrain vehicle" means a vehicle that

(a) runs on 4 or more wheels or is self-propelled by means of 2 or more endless belts driven in contact with the ground,

(b) has a seat designed for the driver to sit astride, and

(c) at the time the vehicle was manufactured, was not designed to conform to the standards prescribed under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) for motor vehicles designed for use on a highway,

but does not include an agricultural or industrial vehicle;

A side by side is not an "all-terrain vehicle". There's a separate definition for "off-road side-by-side vehicle" and you get to wear seat belts.

off-road vehicle regulation

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I have a SXS with seatbelts and rollover protection....do you wear a helmet when driving a truck or jeep?

Legally the answer is yes, but ain't going to happen ...my tune may change if and when I get a few tickets though...lol
    Legally, the answer is no. Helmets are not required while in a UTV (SxS) because you are not "astride" the vehicle and therefor it is not an "all terrain vehicle' by the definition.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Dog View Post
    The off-road vehicle regulation does state:

21 (1) Subject to subsection (3), a person must not use, operate or be a passenger on an all-terrain vehicle, motorcycle or snowmobile on Crown land or prescribed private land, unless the person wears an off-road vehicle safety helmet.

but it also defines an all-terrain vehicle:

"all-terrain vehicle" means a vehicle that

(a) runs on 4 or more wheels or is self-propelled by means of 2 or more endless belts driven in contact with the ground,

(b) has a seat designed for the driver to sit astride, and

(c) at the time the vehicle was manufactured, was not designed to conform to the standards prescribed under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) for motor vehicles designed for use on a highway,

but does not include an agricultural or industrial vehicle;

A side by side is not an "all-terrain vehicle". There's a separate definition for "off-road side-by-side vehicle" and you get to wear seat belts.

off-road vehicle regulation

Does this not outline what an ORV is;
    Prescribed classes of off-road vehicles

For the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition of "off-road vehicle" in section 1 of the Act, the following vehicles, other than vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4 536 kg or more, are prescribed:

(a)
    all-terrain vehicles;

(b)
    motorcycles;

(c)
    off-road side-by-side vehicles;

(d)
    snowmobiles;

(e)
    on-highway motor vehicles.

I crashed 2 yrs ago broke 7 ribs tore my sternum burst fractured my t9 and traumatic brain injury I'm lucky to be alive let alone still hinting and fishing
    Last year in nanaimo a family friend passed away after a crash
    Neither of us were wearing helmets the choice is yours but not worth the risk of not wearing one

(3)
    " This section does not apply to a person who

(a)
    practises the Sikh religion, and

(b)
    has unshorn hair and habitually wears a turban composed of 5 or more square metres of cloth. "

WTF ???

Are you phucking KIDDING me ! This is the tyope of LAWs etc that CAUSE problems ! SHIT like this has to go !
    RJ

I'd like to see a comparison of the effectiveness of a turban and a mass of hair, vs a DOT approved beanie helmet in protecting grey matter in a crash before I get too twisted about it.
    You can also wear a colander as per the church of the flying spaghetti monster, I'm pretty sure.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdale View Post
    I crashed 2 yrs ago broke 7 ribs tore my sternum burst fractured my t9 and traumatic brain injury I'm lucky to be alive let alone still hinting and fishing
    Last year in nanaimo a family friend passed away after a crash
    Neither of us were wearing helmets the choice is yours but not worth the risk of not wearing one
    Sorry to Hear about your Friend passing on and your Terrible injuries BUT thats why people need to wear a Helmet for Sure ! RJ