Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet when hunting?

Helmet when hunting?

Is it illegal to be hunting on a quad without a helmet. Thx.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Helmet when hunting?

I'm pretty sure it is but that isn't enough incentive for me to wear one. Speeding is illegal too but I accept the consequences and do it anyway.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Really depends on where you are and has nothing to do with hunting.

RCMP can and will ticket you in some roads, but you can pretty much ride how you want on private property.

I think in most cases, they are not concerned about it or looking for it and Id bet its viewed very different in more remote areas than those adacent to urban areas
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-11-2019 at 11:31 AM.

x2 with me.Some guys wear a scull cap.I am always going slow because I am hunting.If I was joy riding that would be different.

If it’s a forest service road you need to have insurance to operate a ATV on. For your insurance to be vaid you need to be wearing a helmut. So yes you could get a ticket for no helmut on a FSR as you would technically not have insurance at the time.

On a spur road or private property you don’t need insurance so you don’t need a helmut.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Fsr where you need liability insurance yes you need a helmet. On trails you dont. Iusuall dont wear one while hunting but usually have one with me. If bookin it down the road to get somewhere i wear it or a sketchy spot on a trail.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Open face DOT approved should solve the problem. There is always a little fun to be had on the way to and from a hunt....and often travelling in the dark.....not worth squishing the melon. OR bring you lid and take it off near the hunting spot and strap it to your machine.

Just wear an open face.

Kind of makes me think back to younger years. I've been riding quads for the last 27 years.

About 10/11 years ago my father and step mom bought a new quad. We all headed westbound for a family camping trip.

My step mother insisted that us kids wear helmets. It's just a natural instinct for me to put one on(most of the time), but I asked her why she wasn't wearing one. She read me the riot act and told me "If I say you're wearing ****ing helmets, you're going to wear a ****ing helmet"

Luckily her older brother chimed in and asked her why she wasn't wearing a helmet. My step mom's reasoning was "I feel safer without a helmet because it doesn't obstruct my vision and I can see better"

So she was going to force us to wear helmets, even though she thought she felt safer without a helmet?

I have 17 years of quading experience on her and I know, just wear a helmet... even if you look gay.

Spoke to one of the local RCMP officers here in Ladysmith . . . he said that you do have to wear a DOT or equivalent helmet on public land/roads.
    He also said that the RCMP have better things to do than check helmets. Roll the dice, take your chances . . . . the RCMP officer also hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by lakelander View Post
    Is it illegal to be hunting on a quad without a helmet. Thx.
    Whether it is legal or not is not the question. It is common sense and good practice to wear a helmet. I young guy I worked with 10 years ago was coming out of the bush just after dark to get a bunch of gear to assist his hunting partners who had just shot a moose. With a bit of adrenaline up and no helmet, he was in a hurry to get back to the truck, get the gear and return. He left his buddies and when he didn't return an hour later, his buddies started looking for him. They found him just off the trail with a massive head injury and his quad overturned. They got him medi-vact to the Kamloops trauma centre. He did survive for about a year and was very close to a vegetative state. He had a young wife and a couple of very young children. At work we stepped up and supported his family as best we could. The stress the whole event put his entire family and his friends and co workers through was not even close to worth it. It was never his intention or desire to have an accident, but sadly it happened. So when you think about whether or not to wear an uncomfortable helmet when hunting, think first of all people who's life will be affected if you injure yourself or die.