Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet when hunting?

Re: Helmet when hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    If it’s a forest service road you need to have insurance to operate a ATV on. For your insurance to be vaid you need to be wearing a helmut. So yes you could get a ticket for no helmut on a FSR as you would technically not have insurance at the time.

On a spur road or private property you don’t need insurance so you don’t need a helmut.
    I don't think that is quite correct.
    The only insurance that is mandatory to ride where it is required is Third Party Liability, i.e. if you, as the operator / owner of the ATV injure someone or damage property.
    It does not cover an injury to yourself.
    I believe your liability insurance would still be liable unless it could be proven that the proximate cause of the injury to others or damage to property was your not wearing a helmet. Even then that might be a tough one for the Insurers to do.
    It's kinda like you have to wear your seatbelt while driving your car. If you smack somebody or another vehicle while not having your seatbelt done up it should not invalidate your policy. You can be ticketed of course.
    If you insure your ATV and you have accident insurance covering you, then yes, you might not have any coverage for your own injury.
    Last edited by Iron Glove; 09-11-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Illegal to ride ATV without helmet, legal to ride UTV without one... just to muddy the waters a bit.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

I wear an open face style helmet, still wouldn’t be to comfortable to shoot with so I’d take it off if I saw a critter on my way to an area. If it makes me miss an opportunity so be it-I only own one brain and it’s already been knocked around a bit so prefer to keep it protected no matter my speed.

There’s tons of stories of if he was wearing a helmet the injury wouldn’t be as bad blah blah blah. If you never left the house and encased yourself in foam you would be much safer. I don’t want to wear a helmet and won’t. Life is risky!! That being said I don’t ride an atv like I’m in a super cross race.
    Beer so much more than a breakfast drink.

Opening day I got back to my truck driving my RZR. I took off my helmet and put my stuff in the truck. I put my hat on and drove my RZR from beside my truck to the trailer behind just as the CO pulled up.
    After some discussion about me not wearing my helmet while loading my RZR, he eventually believed me when I said I always where my helmet. ( I do ) but I removed it before loading.
    He gave me a warning.
    He also told me if your ORV is equipped with seatbelts you can wear your helmet OR your seatbelt. I understood that you had to use both if your ORV has seatbelts.
    I looked it up online- www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/193_2015

Sections 2, 21, 23 apply.

You must wear a helmet on public OR private land
    You must wear the seatbelt if equipped on public OR private land.

As was said earlier it depends on the CO. This one says he won't ticket if I wear my seatbelt and no helmet, or a helmet and no seatbelt.

I printed the stuff off and when I see him again we will have a further chat. My interaction was fine, and I look forward to chatting with him again.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Hmmm friend of mine didnt wear his helmet. ..dumped his quad. .now is his 10th year existing in a care home lost his mind..literally..lost his familly,..lost his buisness..
    he is all alone...lost everything.
    Wear your helmet ! its your life !
    steven

I wear a half helmet when I ride my motorcycle when I'm hunting I do not have to take it off to shoot.

I have the helmet sitting on the top of the Kolpin case in this picture.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I wear a half helmet when I ride my motorcycle when I'm hunting I do not have to take it off to shoot.

I have the helmet sitting on the top of the Kolpin case in this picture.

This is a good way to go. I have an open face helmet for work, and a full face for buffooning. You guys that are to cool to wear a helmet, well, enjoy life with no cognitive function. Shit happens, and usually way quicker than you think, and when you least expect it to. I break lots of laws/rules, but I at least play relatively safe when I play hard.

And to answer the OPs question, in BC you are legally required to wear a helmet in/on anything wheeled that isn’t an automobile or tractor/heavy equipment. But as I said, I occasionally break some laws. It’s up to you...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Opening day I got back to my truck driving my RZR. I took off my helmet and put my stuff in the truck. I put my hat on and drove my RZR from beside my truck to the trailer behind just as the CO pulled up.
    After some discussion about me not wearing my helmet while loading my RZR, he eventually believed me when I said I always where my helmet. ( I do ) but I removed it before loading.
    He gave me a warning.
    He also told me if your ORV is equipped with seatbelts you can wear your helmet OR your seatbelt. I understood that you had to use both if your ORV has seatbelts.
    I looked it up online- www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/193_2015

Sections 2, 21, 23 apply.

You must wear a helmet on public OR private land
    You must wear the seatbelt if equipped on public OR private land.

As was said earlier it depends on the CO. This one says he won't ticket if I wear my seatbelt and no helmet, or a helmet and no seatbelt.

I printed the stuff off and when I see him again we will have a further chat. My interaction was fine, and I look forward to chatting with him again.
    I didn't see in the regulations that you can opt not to wear a helmet if you wear your seat belt in a side by side. Interesting, I thought that COs can only ticket you for firearm/hunting related infractions. I ride a side by side with a roll cage and seat belts but maybe I will wear an open face just in case. Thanks all.

I had permission to use my atv to ride between orchards when my Dad was sick and it required a slow moving vehicle sign on my atv. I was in the woods traveling down a skid trail going not fast at all. A lug of the front tire hooked on a rock which flipped the atv up and threw me off into a ravine. I looked up to see the atv about to roll over me. The atv rolled over me and the metal slow moving sign cut a groove across my helmet. Could have been a mess.