Thread: Grouse habitat

Grouse habitat

After a 6 year hiatus, I'm re-starting my hunting journey. I had just gotten into hunting, but a few things caused me to step away for awhile. Anyway, I'm back and still a newb. I figured I'd start at the beginning with grouse.

I've never really actively targeted them before and only shot a couple of them years ago while driving into fishing spots without paying too much attention to their habits and territory.

When looking for grouse spots, what should I be looking for in terms of habitat, terrain, food sources etc?

For reference, I'll be hunting the foothills either towards Grande Cache, AB or when I get my BC small game licence, in the Tumbler Ridge area.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse habitat

Over grown, grassy roads with lots of forage/cover.. aldered in roads are great... even better if they just ran a grader down them. Fresh gravel and alder is a killer combo
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Re: Grouse habitat

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Over grown, grassy roads with lots of forage/cover.. aldered in roads are great... even better if they just ran a grader down them. Fresh gravel and alder is a killer combo
    Perfect, thanks! I think I know a few decent spots to start looking then.