Thread: Harvesting an Elk in Alberta and bringing it back to BC

Harvesting an Elk in Alberta and bringing it back to BC

Hey Everyone,

I am heading towards Fairview Alta in a few weeks for a multiple species hunt. I am going to be hunting Elk for a few days.

Today I called a BC wildlife officer regarding CWD and bringing an animal back to British Columbia. She said she needed to contact a CO for more information.

She basically told me I may need to deposit the head at an Alberta Deposit spot, which is fine I knew that.

Then she said that the animal had to be processed before coming back to BC. All soft tissues needed to be taken off. Am I correct to assume that I can not quarter the animal because the spinal cord would still be intact?

The area is 526 and based on this photo I don't believe it falls under mandatory testing.
    http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...Heads-2018.pdf

Thank you all for the help

Shawn

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Harvesting an Elk in Alberta and bringing it back to BC

all wildlife shot in Alberta has to be processed before bring it across the boarder (cut and wrapped )

Is there a link or something I can confirm that with? If I want to process it myself how do I prove I killed the animal legally in alta?

It’s in the regs and if my memory is correct no spine and no brain comes into BC the rest is OK

must be processed. you can cut and wrap yourself. your duty to the law is to keep your tag with the animal, once its processed it is now processed meat but Id keep my tag on me and pictures and whatever other proof you have of exactly where you shot it for your trip home.

Thanks very much everyone

I’ve hunted Fairview as recently as 2017. PM me if you need any info.

We went in November for cow elk and got a couple. My partner also shot a decent Muley and we both ended up with 140’s 4x4 Whitetails. The cow elk and Muley were undersubscribed tags. Whitetails were open. It was a great trip.

cant help you with the info you seek. lived north of there for years have a great trip. nothing like seeing nice critters everyday. i sure miss it

You can get an export permit from Alberta at a fish and wildlife office. We just bone out our critters and carry the permit along with cancelled tag. Cut the skull cap and antlers off, skin the head and give it a quick boil. You can submit the head for testing without antlers. Only need the brain stem. It may seem onerous but it’s pretty easy.

I have guided 526. If you want your meat done fast and done right, go to the butcher in Hines Creek. He makes some incredible sausage and his facilities are clean. We send animals home to the US without boiling the skull. Good luck on your hunt.