Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Eating Deer On Game Pole

Martin Eating Deer On Game Pole

Hi all,

We lost a deer on our last trip a year back to a couple martin. We ran a large rope between to trees, and hoisted a deer in a game bag up very high "there was a game pole robbing Griz nosing around and we figured there was no way he would get this deer.

Anyhow, temps were cold and meat was in no danger of spoiling. Turns out the martin got onto the deer through the game bag and lived there for a few days, eating and relieving himself all over the meat.

This is the only time we've had a problem like this. Has anyone else had issues with martin "or other small critters" and what have you done about it to keep them off your hanging animal?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Martin Eating Deer On Game Pole

I would leave Martin at home as he sounds
    like an absolute weirdo! add a funnel pointed upwards (or spikes) above the game bag
    as some guys I have gone out with have done to deter the Martens.

Cheers

Well i say you better martin up next time
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Well i say you better martin up next time
    or make smarten hat out of martens..finnygun..tikka of coarse

Haha. Bloody spelling. I stand corrected, "MARTEN".
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-09-2019 at 12:12 PM.

They get pretty brazzen at times the little buggers. Had them following us around in the bush when we were surveying at lunch time I've had them like 15 feet away hissing and giving me the what for on their hind legs eyeing up my sandwich. Didn't help that we'd toss them the odd snack I guess. A few years back we put a field dressed deer in game sacks in the back of my friend's truck at camp and went for a walk. We came back maybe a couple hours later and there were marten tracks in the dust on about every square inch of the tonneau cover as one looked like hell for a way in.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Had one eat a point off a caribou in velvet. Turned it into a four point which did not please the Dease lake CO. Had to do some fast talking on that one. Luckily had photos as well.

Wrap the tree in a tarp because it is too slippery for them to climb up. Or make mittens.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Had the same problem on the island one time years ago. He actually jumped onto the deer and started munching while we were all having dinner around the campfire just a few yards away. He started growling at us when we went over to him, one of the guys hit him with a stick and he didn't come back after that.

Happens in the QCI frequently, they go right for the tenderloin