Thread: What is a land tenure and can I hunt it?

What is a land tenure and can I hunt it?

So I went to an abandoned gas well that showed as crown land on ihunter. When I got to the site, the spot I entered looked like the old road to the well and it had no fencing. Then when I walked for a bit, I ended up next to another road but I was on the wrong side of the fence. The original road to the well was long gone. It looked more like a quad trail than a road. So I looked it up on that McEhlanney book and it says tenured land. What is it and can I hunt it?
    Last edited by bruce44; 09-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: What is a land tenure and can I hunt it?

Tenured land, means, some one has the license to use something, off of that said crown land. Oil and Gas, farmers, forest companies, recreational users like back country skiing, that type of activity. Usually the user, or tenure holder pays the crown in some form, to use that land. The tenure comes with obligations by the license holder, gates, fences, cattle forage times, caribou no go zones. Hope this helps out. As far as you using it, it is crown land, close gates, follow the rules if any are posted. Thats my take! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Moosin is correct. Tenure or lease is for a specific purpose or activity and although can restrict public access, this is very rare (think ski hill). It is your land to use responsibly. Enjoy and best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Tenured land, means, some one has the license to use something, off of that said crown land. Oil and Gas, farmers, forest companies, recreational users like back country skiing, that type of activity. Usually the user, or tenure holder pays the crown in some form, to use that land. The tenure comes with obligations by the license holder, gates, fences, cattle forage times, caribou no go zones. Hope this helps out. As far as you using it, it is crown land, close gates, follow the rules if any are posted. Thats my take! Moosin
    Quote Originally Posted by bcfirefly View Post
    Moosin is correct. Tenure or lease is for a specific purpose or activity and although can restrict public access, this is very rare (think ski hill). It is your land to use responsibly. Enjoy and best of luck!
    Very good info ...thanks guys...im a newb and just moved here and found this site so im just trying to soak up all the info I can