Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: kamloops whitetail woohoo 2 more days to go!!!!

Re: kamloops whitetail woohoo 2 more days to go!!!!

Lots of truth on taking note where you see a whitetail but you can take this a step farther. A lot of times the new locations I hunt I don’t physically see a whitetail to start and may not have seen one for miles. Paying attention to the the habitat and how the game trails run you can often have a good guess if the area is dominated by WT or MD. From there it’s a matter of confirming your guess by random sits or better yet trail cams. At times I will set cams in bush that is basically unhuntable but holds really good sign just to get gauge the population. If the area holds promise I will dissect the bush looking for small( 20 yards is enough) openings that I can hunt from a stand. In many case visibility from the ground is just not going to happen

It’s really a game of reading the bush on possible travel locations and looking at it from a distance trying to predict where the bush may thin enough to hunt

There is a lot of WT that never really come into large openings they brows in small natural openings, in mixed timber, the edge of waterways or semi open timber. There is lots of WT populations that are not noticed because they inhabit areas hunters just drive past

One tip I pay attention to every river, lake, swamp, and pond

Great thread guys! Everyone's excitiement is contagious. Im looking for a spot to take my old man and my brothers later this month preferrably with a decent lake and campsite and an area with a fair chance at a deer. Muley or WT. Any suggestions? I live in Vancouver. Thanks and good luck this season

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor604 View Post
    Great thread guys! Everyone's excitiement is contagious. Im looking for a spot to take my old man and my brothers later this month preferrably with a decent lake and campsite and an area with a fair chance at a deer. Muley or WT. Any suggestions? I live in Vancouver. Thanks and good luck this season
    lots of places listed in this thread and others pick one that fits your requirements for distance and access. When it comes to whitetail the best spots are the ones you know well So picking an area and start getting to know the area is best. There is lots of great WT locations that unless I walked you right into a stand location you might think the areas sucks. If you’re hunting style does not match the area it could also be a bust

Not trying to be a jerk or hide spots just being honest. I highly recommend getting out and learning an area and the WT population as it is a hunt to enjoy

If you just want to go hunting and have a crack at a deer I would pick one species as the main target and carry a just in case rage for the other. Different hunts, habitat, and often a location is better for on species over another

On observing Kamloops whities - was high in the steep crap hunting mulies, but spotted some deer across the valley in a farmers field. Even with the glass could tell if they were bucks or not, but white tail for sure.

Anyways watched them for awhile --- was interesting to see how they would use the tiniest of cover to move from the fields, stream with a few trees to move around - and disappear so fast.

I guess they were not pressured too much as it was around 10:00am on a clear early October morning?

If there is no hunting on a farm they are way less spooky. I have seen WT in a campground so chill my so pet it and both the WT and MD in my new neighborhood are not afraid of much

Apply heavy pressure they become like tweaky meth heads scared of everything.

My go to for hunting whities is to locate farm land and a water source first, then hunt around that area. They will bed not far from the fields during the day, sometimes moving to the water source mid day. They will move to the fields in the evening to feed, then make there way back to bedding early morning. If they are not spooked or pressured, you have a better chance at seeing them earlier.
    Place witty signature here.

if anyone is familiar with the country setting around Nicola lake,,,,Stump lake,,,,shumway lake,,,,,,,the open fields with the draws with the thick poplar,,birch,,saskatoon bushes,,briar patches,,,,,,the whities love that stuff,,,,they come up off the hay/alfalpha fields and seek cover in those draws,,,,,lots of those types of draws surrounding Kamloops,,,,any direction i go with those types of settings ill find whities
    Aim small,,miss small

just checking to see how everyone making out on the whitetail scene in the kamloops area,,,,,,hope everyone has been able to at least spot a few,,,,,,im doing a big 3 day hunt on mon,,tue,,wed,,,,,should be an absolute blast,,,,weather looks like gonna be awesome aswell,,,,all the best to my fellow bush thumpers,,,,see yall in few days
    Aim small,,miss small

WT does everywhere. Have witnessed 3 bucks. A spike and two forks. How the hell does every doe have twins but there are no sperm donors?

by far the fewest white tail this years since I’ve started hunting but I’ve filled one tag thankfully. The road pressure in my areas I hunt has probably doubled this year vs last.

4 mulies less...tunqwa area.....didnt see any w tales...whole 4days..