Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: kamloops whitetail woohoo 2 more days to go!!!!

Re: kamloops whitetail woohoo 2 more days to go!!!!

ohhh forsure the bucks are there,,(bigger bucks),,,,,,they are not un-wise,,,,,,,i have many spots i scout in direct relation to kamloops,,,with the farthest being aprox 25-30 min drive from town,,,,,like i said in earlier posts in this thread,,i been studing whitetail in kamloops region for a very very very long time now,,,,,,,#1 rule i found with myself,,,,remember this just me,,,,,from July on,,,,take a mental pic of EVERY place you see a whitetail,,,,,work those spots,,,,,,i found in the years,,,,its like a radiating chart,,,,,,,,find the does,,,,,,Aug-early sept,,,smaller bucks(spike,,2 point),,,will either be with the does,,,or not far behind,,,,,,,,further out in that radiating circle,,,,,the more mature bigger bucks,,(batchlor groups),,,,will be in the vacinity,,,but a little further out,,,,,,,,,come mid Sept,,,,after all scouting,,,and comfortable with an area,,,,,for me as a rule of thumb,,,,,,i start to use a rattle bag 3rd week of Oct,,(pre-rut),,,,,i use it sparingly,,,,,just enough to catch the attention,,,,,,but like stated above,,,,,,its some pretty thick knarly stuff,,,,,,but remember in the thick stuff,,,,its just as important to hunt by sound as by sight,,,you dont wanna be caught looking left,,,when they appear right,,,giving you NO time to raise rifle,,,,,,,,tree stands are great,,,,,but i do most of my hunting on ground with self made blind,,(logs,,brush,,branches),,,i will always set my blind on the highest point possible,,,and always if possible 40 ish yards from the trail,,,,,,,but each and to their own,,,,,everyone has a way to hunt them
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    ohhh forsure the bucks are there,,(bigger bucks),,,,,,they are not un-wise,,,,,,,i have many spots i scout in direct relation to kamloops,,,with the farthest being aprox 25-30 min drive from town,,,,,like i said in earlier posts in this thread,,i been studing whitetail in kamloops region for a very very very long time now,,,,,,,#1 rule i found with myself,,,,remember this just me,,,,,from July on,,,,take a mental pic of EVERY place you see a whitetail,,,,,work those spots,,,,,,i found in the years,,,,its like a radiating chart,,,,,,,,find the does,,,,,,Aug-early sept,,,smaller bucks(spike,,2 point),,,will either be with the does,,,or not far behind,,,,,,,,further out in that radiating circle,,,,,the more mature bigger bucks,,(batchlor groups),,,,will be in the vacinity,,,but a little further out,,,,,,,,,come mid Sept,,,,after all scouting,,,and comfortable with an area,,,,,for me as a rule of thumb,,,,,,i start to use a rattle bag 3rd week of Oct,,(pre-rut),,,,,i use it sparingly,,,,,just enough to catch the attention,,,,,,but like stated above,,,,,,its some pretty thick knarly stuff,,,,,,but remember in the thick stuff,,,,its just as important to hunt by sound as by sight,,,you dont wanna be caught looking left,,,when they appear right,,,giving you NO time to raise rifle,,,,,,,,tree stands are great,,,,,but i do most of my hunting on ground with self made blind,,(logs,,brush,,branches),,,i will always set my blind on the highest point possible,,,and always if possible 40 ish yards from the trail,,,,,,,but each and to their own,,,,,everyone has a way to hunt them
    i can’t sit still, for even twenty minutes. This is why white tail are and will continue to be my biggest rival lol, I like to put the boots on the ground and cover ground, I guess I enjoy hiking more LOL

lots of great advise in this thread, growing up in Ontario I knew nothing but whitetail, thinking back in 20 years there I never once saw a jaw dropper buck, nothing more than a 2-3 year old tops.

hmmm

also on a side note,,,,,,last 4-5 years hunting whitetail,,,,,i have not used a rifle,,,,,,i switched to a 12 gauge using foster slugs,,,,,2 inch groups at 75 yards,,,,,it helps HUGE when you can cut through some of the brush,,,,and the shot staying on target,,,,farthest shot iv takin to this day in the brush is aprox 60 yards,,,,,,,with 35-50 yards being the more common shot distance,,,and just a simple 3x9 busnel scope
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by Haydenmk View Post
    How do you guys mainly hunt your big whities? Sitting in an area they frequent or slowly still hunting? I've been lucky enough to rattle one in during the rut.
    I知 definitely no expert but from sep 10 to first week of October I like to cut them off moving to their bedding area. I get my two whitetail most years all spikes and does mostly. I知 no expert trophy hunter I知 a meat hunter. That being said this year I知 holding a tag for a bigger whitetail buck I had a few encounters with last year. I prefer still hunting myself I知 not to patient lol I just move way slower and quieter.

well,we did it,,,,,,after helping a few people bag some game this year,,,,,went out on my own for couple days,,,,,,,,,only seen 4 whitetail,,,,,,,,,had cross hairs on a 2x2,,,,,was a no go,,,,,i swear he was just chanting me on in his mind and new i almost had the drop on him,,,,,,BUT,,,,,,i went to grab 1 of my trail cameras,,,,,,and on 3/4 way to camera,,,,bouced 3 mule bucks,,,,,,2x2,,,2x1,,,and a spike,,,,,,aprox 60 yard shot,,,but i got my mule buck,,,only a meat buck,,,nothing to brag about,,,,,,but,,,,meat in the freezer,,,,,just finished hanging him,,,,,,i still have 2 more days to get out after them whitetail,,,,,,but hey,,,a 2x2 mule nothing to cry about,,,,,,,i still have whitetail to chase
    Aim small,,miss small

b-rad.. 12 gauge is a good call in the thick stuff...i have a slug gun aswell for this application. fixed 4power.. that said i have only shot blacktails and bears with slugs.

far to many people dont realize a blade of grass can throw a bullet.

yeah the 12 gauge with foster slugs has an attitude through the thick stuff
    Aim small,,miss small

Sabota slugs works better than reg.slugs..expensive yeah but no need many of them usually..f..g

the biggie whities moving around pretty good now,,,,,,scouted out the spot i talked about earlier in this article where i took the husband and wife,,,,,got a 20 second glance at a 3x2,,,,nothing huge,,,but still so far the largest whitetail buck i got to set my eyes on so far this year,,,,good hand full of 2x2,,,,2x1,,,,,and spikers,,,,,,really starting to notice the rubs and scrapes starting to stick out like a sore thumb now,,,,,with all the leaves//foilage starting to lay flat on the ground,,,,,i only have 1 tag left to fill,,,,,so more than likely holding out for a 3x3 or bigger,,,,,knock on wood,,,,,good to see most people are also having a good year so far,,,,,,,B-rad
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    the biggie whities moving around pretty good now,,,,,,scouted out the spot i talked about earlier in this article where i took the husband and wife,,,,,got a 20 second glance at a 3x2,,,,nothing huge,,,but still so far the largest whitetail buck i got to set my eyes on so far this year,,,,good hand full of 2x2,,,,2x1,,,,,and spikers,,,,,,really starting to notice the rubs and scrapes starting to stick out like a sore thumb now,,,,,with all the leaves//foilage starting to lay flat on the ground,,,,,i only have 1 tag left to fill,,,,,so more than likely holding out for a 3x3 or bigger,,,,,knock on wood,,,,,good to see most people are also having a good year so far,,,,,,,B-rad
    we bumped a huge big bodied WT buck after dark packing out my buddies doe on Sunday, I was just happy to know he’s right close to breed the abundance of does.. left him over a dozen to fight for ! Was impressed with his size and how he moved, very different than the does and little bucks. He was SMART.