Thread: Boundary Bay for Canada Geese 2019 - some bad behaviour

Threaded View

Boundary Bay for Canada Geese 2019 - some bad behaviour

I mostly hunt Brunswick - yes I am stuck on public land - so I tried out Boundary Bay yesterday as I had heard it was better for Canadas.

My friend and I were the only people to set up decoys. (not that they helped). The geese seemed to be transiting from the tidal flats to the golf course or some other place inland. They were there. Saw maybe 4 different flights between sunrise and 9:30 when I quit. Of course the moment I started coming out a flight passed just over where we had been.

Everyone there seemed to just pass shoot or skybust. Later someone told me no one bothers with decoys there and that it is all pass shooting. Ok fine, I will leave behind the extra load next time.

My problem is that I saw a group of hunters just standing out in the middle of the flats in the open with a stand up blind. I mean it was just so obvious. They had this screen and they were just gathered around it like they were watching a car rally. I watched them all morning to give them the benefit of the doubt but IMO they were just showing the geese where not to go.

Worse: I am certain there were other hunters close to 64th who were clearly within 150m. I mean not even 50m. I saw a flight get peppered in that area (two or three went down that morning). Yes, I am a bit jealous since I got skunked but I really wonder whether some of those shots were toward the dyke.

It would not surprise me if COs showed up and started issuing tickets and seizing guns. And they should. From what I read about that area, the greenhouse nearby has had complaints in the past about damage to their glass and of course it would be horrible if any dogwalker, rider or dyke walker claimed to be hit by birdshot.

EDIT: from second reading it appears you can shoot toward the dyke providing you are outside of 180m from the dyke.
    Last edited by silveragent; 09-17-2019 at 11:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor