Thread: Silky saw advice

Silky saw advice

I’m going to buy either the big boy or the katana. It will mostly reside in the truck to clear logs etc. I might carry once in a while to clear some trails.

Im upgrading from a smaller felco. It’s a great saw but just too small for larger jobs.

Im leaning towards the katana. I’ve picked up a big boy but never a katana. Is it too big? If I remember correctly it’s about 1/3 longer than the katana.

Looking for for advice from folks who have handled both.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Silky saw advice

The big boy is amazing, I cut about 200 small trees with mine, it's super fast. The price jump to the katana is pretty big, I'm sure the katana cuts even better but is it worth the money.

yeah big price jump to the smallest size katana, I have a big boy and it's a great saw, anything too big for it and i'm using a chainsaw
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

have the katanaboy and wouldn't want anything smaller for clearing deadfall across roads. i use mine for exactly that and it is always in the truck. superb piece of kit. shop around. big difference in prices. be careful cutting with one hand. if it slips it can do awful damage to your other one. two hands on the handle and you're safe.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I ordered the KatanaBoy.

Cheers,

Lee valley has a copy of the katana boy for $120. It's awesome for clearing deadfall. 24" blade!! ��
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Quote Originally Posted by islandhunter View Post
    Lee valley has a copy of the katana boy for $120. It's awesome for clearing deadfall. 24" blade!! ��
    I just looked it up. It's $112 (Canadian). If I had known about this one I would have bought it.

Received the Silky and it is indeed a NICE piece of equipment. I should get a chance to use it a bit at the cabin this weekend. Looks like it's going to exceed my expectations. Berry Nice.