Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best shop for Diesel trucks in Fraser Valley

Re: Best shop for Diesel trucks in Fraser Valley

If Dodge could do a 12v mechanical engine that would produce 350hp and 600lbft and could magically pass emissions without all the crap, they would sell them by the tens of thousands. If I could buy a brand new 92 body style 12v P7100 with an updated interior, and coil front suspension, I’d sell my 2014 in seconds. I bet I’m not alone in that.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    If Dodge could do a 12v mechanical engine that would produce 350hp and 600lbft and could magically pass emissions without all the crap, they would sell them by the tens of thousands. If I could buy a brand new 92 body style 12v P7100 with an updated interior, and coil front suspension, I’d sell my 2014 in seconds. I bet I’m not alone in that.
    no they wouldn't. not unless it was substantially cheaper. Most buyers of trucks, especially companies and fleets do not care, nor do they understand, they only see price and performance and that's it.

There is a large group of enthusiasts that would. Do they buy as many as the fleet buyers? No, but having managed fleets before, I can assure you, reliability over technology and sheer horsepower would sway a whole lot of fleet managers. Trucks that need expensive repairs are trucks that are not out making money. They are buying what is being offered new. They have no choice. But given the option for a mechanically simpler and more reliable product, only an idiot would buy the more complex vehicle if the price were the same.

But, this is a moot point, as we only have what we have. I for one, would buy the truck I described, but I can’t, so like everyone else, I make do.

TwoSevenO......let me get this straight. Your saying companies like, efi live, h&s, edge, diablo sport, bully dog, etc don’t spend any money on testing their tunes.....??? I’m sure they don’t just pull a bunch of number out of their ass and then say have fun....let us know what breaks and we’ll back it off a bit. Isn’t be willing to bet they run the trucks on a dyno to test their tunes. Let’s be honest....do you think these companies would sell and products if they did your way and didn’t test their tunes to make sure their claims were factual and reliable??

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    TwoSevenO......let me get this straight. Your saying companies like, efi live, h&s, edge, diablo sport, bully dog, etc don’t spend any money on testing their tunes.....??? I’m sure they don’t just pull a bunch of number out of their ass and then say have fun....let us know what breaks and we’ll back it off a bit. Isn’t be willing to bet they run the trucks on a dyno to test their tunes. Let’s be honest....do you think these companies would sell and products if they did your way and didn’t test their tunes to make sure their claims were factual and reliable??
    You have no idea what you're replying to whatsoever. Go re read my post and come back.

Nowhere did I mention they spend "no money" or "didnt test their tunes".

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    There is a large group of enthusiasts that would. Do they buy as many as the fleet buyers? No, but having managed fleets before, I can assure you, reliability over technology and sheer horsepower would sway a whole lot of fleet managers. Trucks that need expensive repairs are trucks that are not out making money. They are buying what is being offered new. They have no choice. But given the option for a mechanically simpler and more reliable product, only an idiot would buy the more complex vehicle if the price were the same.

But, this is a moot point, as we only have what we have. I for one, would buy the truck I described, but I can’t, so like everyone else, I make do.
    No they wouldn't. Your group of "enthusiasts" is a drop in the bucket compared to the regular customer base they want to sell to. They dont care about people like you that want a simple, run forever truck. They dont want you to keep the truck forever or have it run forever in today's day and age.

Same reason why people keep crying foul over a manual transmission not being available. "Oh but do you know many enthusiasts would buy them?!??". Drop in the bucket. They dont care about you or what you want. Only what the masses want. And masses dont want 200hp reliable diesels or manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    No they wouldn't. Your group of "enthusiasts" is a drop in the bucket compared to the regular customer base they want to sell to. They dont care about people like you that want a simple, run forever truck. They dont want you to keep the truck forever or have it run forever in today's day and age.

Same reason why people keep crying foul over a manual transmission not being available. "Oh but do you know many enthusiasts would buy them?!??". Drop in the bucket. They dont care about you or what you want. Only what the masses want. And masses dont want 200hp reliable diesels or manuals.
    What's your back ground? Are you in the industry?

[QUOTE=twoSevenO;2115773]You have no idea what you're replying to whatsoever. Go re read my post and come back.

Does anyone have a high mileage truck that has been aggressively tuned for most of its life? like +150hp or more who hasn't spent a fortune on subsequent engine and transmission upgrades/repairs?

There is a lot of "grey area" for me in the tuner world:

1. Most of it seems based on bro-science. Lets tune it until it breaks, then back down a bit. Is anyone at these companies an engineer with a background in engine design at an actual car manufacturer.
    2. R&D - related to above. I do not see any evidence that these guys spend a ton of money on R&D. I don't think the market is there for them to do that. Sure, there are a lot of trucks being tuned, but what's the R&D? "Here, drive this tuned truck and report what broke and when"?. I think most of the R&D is actually the computer guys who figure out how to break into ECUs and make flashing possible. Tuners generally just buy the software and equipment for this and don't develop it in house.
    5. If these guys really put a ton of money into R&D, there would be some whitepapers written on the tuned trucks and torture tests they've been subjected to and successfully passed. But i have yet to see one. Stock torture tests for engines are pretty comprehensive. True R&D would be a company replicating that with various tunes and letting us know which tunes passed and which tunes can't be labeled as "meets OEM reliability testing". Is that cut off at +50hp? +100? +20? ..... who knows.

DISCLAIMER: it's been a couple of years since i've researched this, so it's possible some of the above is now available, but i don't have the time to research again to confirm.[/QUOTE

your above points #1, 2 & 5 support my post.

Your the one who said “ bro science “.....” let’s turn it up until it breaks, then back down a bit “ and “ I do not see any evidence that these guys spend a ton of money on r & d “

99.9% of shops that install tunes are doing just that.....their installing tunes/tuners that a company has spent tons of time/money on developing. Which includes testing the vehicles on a dyno to ensure that the changes to the ecu are an improvement over stock and are safe for the engine.
    When comparing tuned engines you can’t really compare one to another based on failures/problems. Personal driving habits/maintenance can and will cause premature failure of components.

They all say it's safe. Even the ones offering 175hp tunes will say it is safe. Do they have some proof? Do any publish the type of torture tests they subject engines to and let customers know exactly what kind of testing was done? No. They do not.

Do you have any proof that they spend "tons" of money on it? You dont. It's their word and that's all.

Bro science comment was regarding new engines that come out that no one has had a chance to even drive properly, yet there is a tune for it in a month.

I'm not saying these guys dont spend money on developing and testing tunes. I'm saying there is absolutely NO indication of how much testing is done, nor what kind of testing is done. Running a truck on a dyno for a day is the absolute bare minimum testing youd expect them to do and is in no way an indication that a "ton" of money was spent on testing. Theres simply no proof of it.

Personal habits and driving styles are something OEM testing has to account for as well. So if you claim how safe your tunes are, then show me what you subjected your vehicles with the tune to and we'll go from there. None of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    No they wouldn't. Your group of "enthusiasts" is a drop in the bucket compared to the regular customer base they want to sell to. And masses dont want 200hp reliable diesels or manuals.
    I’m over this whole thread, but first I’ll just add that “I” don’t have a group of anything, and I DID say 350hp and 650 ftlbs which is pretty damn close to manual trans numbers currently offered by Dodge, not 200hp.