Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk and wolves in region 8

Elk and wolves in region 8

Saw a huge bull elk with 4 cows yesterday but they were at 360 yards up a steep hill and I have a bad knee so I had to watch them walk away. Tried calling and bugling and the bull wasn’t interested or didn’t want to fight. Decided to camp out in the area for first light this morning but didn’t see or hear anything.
    Walked a bit and found a nice spot to sit and watch and 20 minutes later I could hear some movement in the trees. All of a sudden it sounded like the whole herd of elk was coming right out in front of me. I cocked my bow and waited and 60 yards from me out popped a small cow elk running like crazy. Now I’m thinking this is awesome and i’m ready for the bull to pop out of the trees. But what do you know, it’s a white wolf in hard pursuit of that elk! I so wanted to try a shot at the wolf but they aren’t open for 4 more days. So I watched as they ran off down the hill with the cow elk gaining distance on that wolf. About 5 minutes later I see the wolf coming back but it disappeared around 300 yards away.
    Sat for another 10 or so minutes and all of a sudden a grey wolf pops out at the same place (60 yards away) the cow elk and white wolf came out. But this one is angling right towards me. So I cocked my bow again and when it hit 40 yards from me I let the arrow loose in front of it. It still kept coming so I pulled my knife out and laid it in my lap. Then I cocked another arrow and this time the wolf was only 13 yards from me but instead of coming right at me, it slightly angled away as I followed it with my arrow. It got as close as 10 yards away as it passed me and then disappeared down the hill. The whole time it never made eye contact with me or acknowledged I was there. Weirdest morning I’ve had in many years and I can’t wait for the 10th to put a bullet in them if I see them.

Andy
    Last edited by dd3boss; 09-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk and wolves in region 8

Please DO!!!
    They can do a number on elk!!! if left alone.

I’ll join on Wolf any day!!
    also hunt the MU-8 if you care to get out
    together

4 days out of season ..... is wolf poaching even a thing? Lol

wow! exciting times and very cool story, hope you get a connect on an elk and possible a wolf!

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Sss ? .....

I had a black one pass about 15 yards away from me last fall and it also never even looked my way. Carbine was still in pack mode as I had just arrived in “the zone” and was figuring out where I was going to sit and watch the trail I found for whitetail movement. It was a very cool experience, but not as good as your show was! I think if I was to start bow hunting, a Henry Mares Leg in .44 mag would be along for the ride.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by dd3boss View Post
    Saw a huge bull elk with 4 cows yesterday but they were at 360 yards up a steep hill and I have a bad knee so I had to watch them walk away. Tried calling and bugling and the bull wasn’t interested or didn’t want to fight. Decided to camp out in the area for first light this morning but didn’t see or hear anything.
    Walked a bit and found a nice spot to sit and watch and 20 minutes later I could hear some movement in the trees. All of a sudden it sounded like the whole herd of elk was coming right out in front of me. I cocked my bow and waited and 60 yards from me out popped a small cow elk running like crazy. Now I’m thinking this is awesome and i’m ready for the bull to pop out of the trees. But what do you know, it’s a white wolf in hard pursuit of that elk! I so wanted to try a shot at the wolf but they aren’t open for 4 more days. So I watched as they ran off down the hill with the cow elk gaining distance on that wolf. About 5 minutes later I see the wolf coming back but it disappeared around 300 yards away.
    Sat for another 10 or so minutes and all of a sudden a grey wolf pops out at the same place (60 yards away) the cow elk and white wolf came out. But this one is angling right towards me. So I cocked my bow again and when it hit 40 yards from me I let the arrow loose in front of it. It still kept coming so I pulled my knife out and laid it in my lap. Then I cocked another arrow and this time the wolf was only 13 yards from me but instead of coming right at me, it slightly angled away as I followed it with my arrow. It got as close as 10 yards away as it passed me and then disappeared down the hill. The whole time it never made eye contact with me or acknowledged I was there. Weirdest morning I’ve had in many years and I can’t wait for the 10th to put a bullet in them if I see them.

Andy
    Exciting events you had, great story. Only one mistake; you should have shot the wolf.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

just shoot.

If someone sees and reports you then the CO has no alternative but to charge you under the wildlife act, it is called poaching. You are jeopardizing your hunting privileges.