Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Re: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

@tipper can’t say I’ve noticed a lot of traffic in reg 3, maybe I’m just taking notice of the “must call” and “two way radio” signs around some of the local FSRs. I’ve never actually encountered a large truck on any of the roads during previous hunting seasons (dumb luck?). Mostly I was just asking as a guy who took the 10th off work and wants to get out on opening day.

Usualy if you dont have a radio trucks will still call your location giving others a "heads up" which is pretty useful on a busy FSR..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Bottom line is if your up on a actively used forestry road with no way to call kilometres than if an accident takes place between you and a commercial vehicle ie. a logging truck or a crew cab you will be held responsible in the insurance holders eyes, Almost all of the time !! Really simple, spend a lot of time on active forestry roads then get a bush radio from a communications company. Handhelds are 250-400$and have a general range of 5kilometers. A hard wired radio is 600-700$ and has much more range. Sometimes handhold units don’t work great in certain condition valleys etc but better than nothing. Worst case when active hauling talk to a forestry worker if posible they will be able to help call ahead and make things safer or let you follow them. Good luck all

Ya, there isn't alot of logging going on where I peruse region 3, mills are dropping like flies so....
    I have noticed logging truck drivers caution has diminished over the years, dont rely on a radio, but could save your life and if the road is narrow then you are taking a real chance. Some roads are pretty safe without a radio imo.

I used to drive the crummy for a long time and never had a problem, that was years ago...last year while heading up the hill I was run into the ditch on a government maintained, paved road by a logging truck as he was going way to fast and cut the corner leaving me no choice but the ditch...there are people living there and many houses on the road so it can happen anywhere.

Instructions are at the bottom of most roads with the channel to be used, unless someone took the signs down but they say what to call, its sometimes going up you call odd numbers and going down you call even numbers IIRC, not all roads are the same I dont think.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Usualy if you dont have a radio trucks will still call your location giving others a "heads up" which is pretty useful on a busy FSR..
    I had this happen once. We were tucked into a little overgrown pull-off no a switch back. Didn't have a two way radio but we had a scanner and could hear them. Some equipment (I forget what, maybe a log truck) came down the road and gave a heads up that there was a jeep parked off the road.

Same area, different road a year or two prior I met a log truck as it was coming down the switch backs. I drove into the ditch without hesitation, but I remember seeing how scared the log truck driver was. I suspect when he saw me he figured he was about to punt me off the mountain. When he passed by his expression changed to relief and he seemed to be checking out my predicament evaluating if I would be able to get out of the ditch on my own (no issue) Anyway, I felt really bad for creating a pucker moment for a hard working guy who just wants to get home from work without anyone getting hurt... then I'm thinking "ah crap. I'm the reason roads get gated". Man that must be a stressful job, hauling all that weight down the mountain and not being in control over what will happen should there be an unexpected obstacle such as a rec user.

We still don't have a two way radio, nor am I licensed to use one so I stay away from places with active logging unless it's a place that is safe for rec users and log trucks that don't have signage requiring calling. Even a wide, flat, straight valley bottom road I still pull off and let them go by... gets us a wave and a smile every time.

Go on eBay
    i bought 2 ICom ICV8 radios and a 12v plug for $150.
    They are hand programable, never worry again. I’ve programmed all the RR channels and the marine standbys.
    JB

Had a few VHF radios for over a decade and they are invaluable up here in PG. I have never been checked and the other individuals using the roads do appreciate knowing where others are on the roads. Simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougielightning View Post
    Bottom line is if your up on a actively used forestry road with no way to call kilometres than if an accident takes place between you and a commercial vehicle ie. a logging truck or a crew cab you will be held responsible in the insurance holders eyes, Almost all of the time !! Really simple, spend a lot of time on active forestry roads then get a bush radio from a communications company. Handhelds are 250-400$and have a general range of 5kilometers. A hard wired radio is 600-700$ and has much more range. Sometimes handhold units don’t work great in certain condition valleys etc but better than nothing. Worst case when active hauling talk to a forestry worker if posible they will be able to help call ahead and make things safer or let you follow them. Good luck all
    The radio is a great idea but being responsible for any issues if you dont have a radio is not at all accurate. The commercial users of a resource road are responsible for doing so safely with consideration for all users. That might not happen all the time, but most people are decent and if you drive safely you will be fine. Get a radio and call your position if you can, and pay attention to roads for signs of heavy use.

Thanks for all of the advice and helpful insight! It sounds like the essential knowledge to take away is - drive safe and sane on the backroads, pay attention to the logging signs, and have a radio handy if possible, be ready to yield the right way if someone bigger is coming downhill. Not sure about the rest of ya'll but getting pretty stoked to hit the backcountry tomorrow!

Here on the Island, seeing channels posted is rare in my experience, so travel on weekdays is always risky. We have had VHF radios for years, and I would love to have them on the appropriate channel to monitor logging truck locations (and broadcast mine), but no idea how. Do they repeatedly broadcast their locations as they travel?