Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Question FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Hey all, located in Reg3 near the loops, curious how you weekday hunters manage to avoid trucks/loggers on the back roads? Is there a way to identify which FSRs are “active” before you go out? No issues on weekends obviously as no one is working.

Im familiar with FCBC Discovery tool for land use, etc just not sure about roads? Toying with the idea of getting a radio for my truck just in case.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Quote Originally Posted by imack91 View Post
    Hey all, located in Reg3 near the loops, curious how you weekday hunters manage to avoid trucks/loggers on the back roads? Is there a way to identify which FSRs are “active” before you go out? No issues on weekends obviously as no one is working.

Im familiar with FCBC Discovery tool for land use, etc just not sure about roads? Toying with the idea of getting a radio for my truck just in case.
    im pretty sure a radio to call your location is required, otherwise be prepared to reverse down any hill very quickly if you come up to a logging truck . We have a radio and listen for other trucks but don’t call ourselves.

Quite often there will be signs posted when there is active logging in the area that also shows the radio channel.

Radio is a relatively cheap investment and doubles as a great way to get help in the many areas that have no cell reception.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

I run lowbed in the bush all over BC and the jobs aren't just Monday to Friday, there's equipment moving 24-7 and not just in active logging areas. A vhf is a good idea, and don't just listen cause that's what someone else coming at you might be doing too. Just because one direction or the other is supposed to be calling doesn't guarantee they are. I just spent the long weekend in the bush working, so you never know. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...s/channel-maps

Quote Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
    I run lowbed in the bush all over BC and the jobs aren't just Monday to Friday, there's equipment moving 24-7 and not just in active logging areas. A vhf is a good idea, and don't just listen cause that's what someone else coming at you might be doing too. Just because one direction or the other is supposed to be calling doesn't guarantee they are. I just spent the long weekend in the bush working, so you never know.
    ^ This. And this is also why you can't just rely on active logging signs.

Invest in a radio. You can get them super cheap (I think I spent around $60 for a Baofeng but could be wrong as it's been a few years) but they really are an invaluable tool. I cringe at the fact I went so many years without one (which included many scary and sketchy situations) and now I never leave home without it.

I also have a pair of Baofeng radios. You need a basic Amatuer radio license (Ham) to be legal with them, and technically the written permission of the company who’s channel you’re on, but I’d bet most guys would rather have someone call out the Km markers up/down than run over them with their loaded truck. Monitor the channel for a few minutes before heading up, and try to use proper radio protocol if you transmit.

I once had a Chevy crewcab coming downhill with no radio, and I was going uphill with a load that I could not stop or back up with. We met in a blind corner as she couldn’t hear me calling uphill markers. She tried to back up but I still caught her front fender on the side of the deck and opened the truck up about 3’ along the side. Nobody was hurt, and mid 80s Chevy fenders are about $100, so I didn’t stop. I know her boss and called and said “sorry you hire dumb people”. He was on my side in the whole deal and she bought the fender and always carried her radio after that...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Thanks for the info all, very much appreciated! I did bite the bullet and order a radio. Who’s got a good reference for radio protocol / how to call?

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    im pretty sure a radio to call your location is required, otherwise be prepared to reverse down any hill very quickly if you come up to a logging truck . We have a radio and listen for other trucks but don’t call ourselves.
    There are all sorts of reasons why you should get a radio.

Being required is not one of them.

There is no requirement to use a radio on the majority of resource roads in BC. There are very few where it is required.

Call the road name, km number and either up or down. So if you heading into the Bush on 'bush' road. you would call.....'up bush 3'.