Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Re: FSRs on a Weekday - Logging? (reg 3)

Will a uniden handheld vhf work ?

Quote Originally Posted by wrenchhead View Post
    Call the road name, km number and either up or down. So if you heading into the Bush on 'bush' road. you would call.....'up bush 3'.
    Technically speaking, you wouldn’t be calling “Up 3, Bush”, because most roads you call up at even numbers, and down at odd.... Up 0, Up 2, Up 4, etc. This tries to ensure better radio coverage of kilometers, AND helps standardize calling, in case you are one of those people that starts talking before you push the button.... if I only hear “....3 Bush” then if you are calling correctly one can assume you are headed down, and grab a spot asap if I am at 2.5km...

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    Technically speaking, you wouldn’t be calling “Up 3, Bush”, because most roads you call up at even numbers, and down at odd.... Up 0, Up 2, Up 4, etc. This tries to ensure better radio coverage of kilometers, AND helps standardize calling, in case you are one of those people that starts talking before you push the button.... if I only hear “....3 Bush” then if you are calling correctly one can assume you are headed down, and grab a spot asap if I am at 2.5km...
    That's the way it usually is however check the sign at the start of the road, I have now been on a few where it's reversed and the ones coming down are calling even kilometres.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I also have a pair of Baofeng radios. You need a basic Amatuer radio license (Ham) to be legal with them, and technically the written permission of the company who’s channel you’re on, but I’d bet most guys would rather have someone call out the Km markers up/down than run over them with their loaded truck. Monitor the channel for a few minutes before heading up, and try to use proper radio protocol if you transmit.
    I believe all forest service road channels have now been switched and standardized to one of the RR (Resource Road) channels set up by the government. There's a list in the link I posted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
    I believe all forest service road channels have now been switched and standardized to one of the RR (Resource Road) channels set up by the government. There's a list in the link I posted earlier.
    FSRs May have gone that way. I wasn’t in the logging business, but had a bunch of helicopter companies, ski area operators etc in our radios.

If we’re getting technical about it, you are not legally supposed to have user changeable freqs in your radio either. They are supposed to be programmed for the channels you are legally entitled to use, and then locked out. It’s one of those things where you’d have to really piss someone off, or be really unlucky to get caught in that though.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Aways call when you start up a road, as mentioned there will be people coming down on on a quiet day that may be listening but not calling. This will grab their attention and they will respond.

You will Find signs stating “must call” and the km. Easy enough. Call that km up or down.

You will get proficient at remembering where other traffic is. Once you close in on someone you will both call often and as the light vehicle it should be you getting out of the way. Once stoped at s pull out, advise the other party you are stoped and where.

When everyone is calling and scattered it is a little overkill to call every second km. But it’s important to know where the other traffic is and call accordingly.

Some roads arent straight forward, as in leave pavement and head up a hill. They can join two major roads etc. So the rule of thumb is if the km markers go up. Your going up. Getting smaller you call down. Sometimes you can be headed back home down a hill to the highway and the km are going up. So it can be misleading.

Don't rely on radios, always expect someone without one. And what area in 3 right now has a lot of traffic?

You can get a handheld radio for 250 bucks, they will program it for all the relevant channels that you require, I recommend that.

Miners if I recall say "km" and either "loaded" = going out or "empty" = coming in.
    At least they used to.

Here you go, direct from the source. As someone mentioned earlier, having a radio helps, but you still need to drive with care. 1st time I ventured up a road with my radio, calling as required I ended up taking a snowbank to avoid getting run down by a loaded logging truck that came around a corner just ahead of me. Apparently "Sharky" didn't hear my radio calls, although the base station reported that I had indeed been calling. On the other hand, last fall calling my position on FSR which was relatively wide, a truck coming down responded that I don't need to bother pulling over. I pulled into a pullout anyway & advised him I'm not in a hurry. He was very appreciative, big smile & wave as he thundered by.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...communications