Thread: Otter Lake Fishing

Otter Lake Fishing

We are renting a cabin in Tulameen this month. Is it worth bringing the canoe to fish the lake in mid September? I have tried the lake once before from shore with no success. Hoping to make it worthwhile for the kids. Any info appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Otter Lake Fishing

Yup, should be good.
    I believe it is a lake I fished one day with a belly boat and caught fish (not overly large).
    Just bring a pistol pellet gun for the Loons.
    Nothing worse than trying to release a fish or wanting to, and a loon sweeps in and starts tearing it apart while still on the hook.
    We lost several to the Loons there that day.
    Just an FYI.

Otter used to be passable fishing for Rainbow, Kokanee and such but in recent years it's mainly Northern Pike Minnows ( i.e. suckers ).
    We used to do OK for Rainbow and Kokanee but now don't bother.
    Fisheries stopped stocking it years ago.
    They have started to put Black Water Trout ( if i recall it right ) in as they apparently will eat up tons of the sucker's fries and such, might help to replenish the trout and such.
    Having said that, it's always worth a try if you are there anyways.
    Suggest trolling along the West side of the Lake along the road in the South part of the Lake and trying at the North end by where Otter Creek flows in.
    If you are just interested in the kids hooking into something, suggest shore fishing where Otter Creek leaves the Lake, by the KVR trestle or where the Creek empties into the Tulameen River.
    There still are some very large Lakers but they are best fished for just when the ice starts to come off in the Spring.
    The Tulameen River is really low and warm right now so not much worthwhile there unless you travel down to the White Sands / Coalmont area.
    Have fun, Tulameen is beautiful, and quiet in the Fall, we're hoping to be at our place later next week for awhile.

Thanks for the replies guys. Iron Glove I knew you were familiar with the area from past posts and I appreciate the detailed info. I have seen nearby lakes to that area also overrun with Pike minnow so not surprised.

We will make the most of it.

Thank you gents.

Good luck, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Iron Glove I knew you were familiar with the area from past posts and I appreciate the detailed info. I have seen nearby lakes to that area also overrun with Pike minnow so not surprised.

We will make the most of it.

Thank you gents.
    No problem, when are you in Tulameen?
    If I'm there when you are you're more than welcome to use our 12 Ft with electric motor.

We are up there next thursday through monday. Hopefully be up a couple times this year. I will probably have my canoe but not certain yet. Thank you for the kind offer. I will let you know how it goes!

Use leaded line and troll down the middle for Kokanee. Small flasher and pink wedding band. They are small but the kids won’t care. Good luck