Thread: Hunting with a Stag-10

Hunting with a Stag-10

Hi Guys,
    Cant find it anywhere in the regulations regarding magazine size for semi-automatic hunting.
    I got the Stag-10 from a gun store in Vancouver and it came with a 10 round magazine.
    Question is, can I hunt with this magazine or do I need it to be pinned to 5 rounds?
    From the Canadian Fire Arms Law - Semi-auto centerfire rifles and shotguns are limited to a maximum of 5 rounds.
    Which means I was possibly sold and illegal magazine and am now a criminal...

Thanks for your help

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with a Stag-10

There are no provincial hunting restrictions for rifle magazine capacity.
    Federal firearm restrictions are different: Unless the magazine were manufactured for pistol, the restriction would be 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by tyyota View Post
    There are no provincial hunting restrictions for rifle magazine capacity.
    Federal firearm restrictions are different: Unless the magazine were manufactured for pistol, the restriction would be 5 rounds.
    Thought So, Thanks

I believe there is also a clause in the Firearms law about a semi-auto centrefire rifle only available magazine being larger than 5 rounds it's permitted, for example the M1 Garrand with its 8 round top loaded band magazine.

Can you fit 10 rounds in the magazine, or is it pinned? If not pinned that makes it an illegal magazine unless it can fit in a handgun as well.

Disclaimer: I haven't kept up with changes in firearms law since I gave up recreational shooting, so forgive me if this information is outdated.

If it was designed for a pistol like the lar 10 round mags for an ar15 the magazine is legal.

So if it's an xcr mag designed for a pistol, it is legal for use. Apparently there were some fitment issues, see if the mag release works well with yours. As far as hunting, I believe this has been covered and you can hunt with it, but best to get some confirmation on that one.

Just remember , cops and co’s Are dumb when it comes to the laws..... get a copy of the law and keep it on you !!
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

I believe the stag 10 comes with a copy of the legal classification of the firearm just in case the cops don't know it...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    I believe the stag 10 comes with a copy of the legal classification of the firearm just in case the cops don't know it...
    I was referring to the “pistol” mag and it’s legal capacity of ten rounds. It’s also good as you say, to have the FRT of the gun.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER