Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to sacrifice for pack weight?

What are you willing to sacrifice for pack weight?

As I’m sitting here weighing my pack and it came in a little over 50lbs without my rifle for an 8 day trip I was wondering what creature comforts people are willing to give up to save weight and what’s a must?

For me, I have a little bit more food than I need but I kind of packed last minute and I didn’t have a lot of time to really go over my food list and compress it a bit. I must have a Mickey of fireball or sambuca(just in case there’s cause for celebration). I’m not going without a toothbrush either.

I could save some weight going to a lighter pack, the mystery ranch Marshall isn’t the lightest bag on the market and I kind of like sleeping in a full tent so I’m bring my msr hubba hubba.

Whats everybody else doing?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What are you willing to sacrifice for pack weight?

I find that there are always some clothes that can be left behind. Same with gear (ie only bring a havalon; don't convince yourself that you NEED another knife to deal with the boning. You can do without). Batteries: have a fully charged set in each device with one battery turned around backwards as to not drain it. This way you don't need spares. Underwear; you only need one pair. Socks last up to 3 days. Lose the second pair of gloves. Get rid of the GPS if you've got the delorme. Bring less food; I minimize my food every year and I still have some left over when my circuit is done. Lastly, don't focus on the actual weight; focus on what you NEED. For instance, I NEED real meat. If I go for 8 days, I pack 8 full apples and 8 full cans of smoked oysters. The extra weight is by far less significant than knowing that once i've crested the next hill, I get to eat good.

I was thinking that foregoing the micky of Fireball or Sambuca in favour of a big fattie would cut down on some weight but then realized I’d also go through all my food the same day I smoked it so probably not the best idea.

I bought a lighter tent and sleeping bag. Less clothes. Less food. Minimum fuel for the stove. Less ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I was thinking that foregoing the micky of Fireball or Sambuca in favour of a big fattie would cut down on some weight but then realized I’d also go through all my food the same day I smoked it so probably not the best idea.
    For this reason, I switched to overproof rum, I only need to pack half as much lol, it goes well with a hot tea before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Unfortunately I have to be able to pass a piss test when I get home. Even though it’s legal we’re still not allowed yet...
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Leatherman ... too heavy.
    Mountain house .... tastes like shit and requires a stove and kettle.
    Water filter ... pills are lighter and smaller.
    Stove/fuel/kettle ... no need for early season hunts. Just extra bulk and weight. I dont drink coffee and mountain house tastes like shit anyways.

Toilet paper, that’s what socks and sleeves are for
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Lots of money = losing weight.

$2000 = Big Agnes tent, r5.7 thermorest mattress, WM sleeping bag= 6lbs
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Lots of money = losing weight.

$2000 = Big Agnes tent, r5.7 thermorest mattress, WM sleeping bag= 6lbs
    With lots of money, just hire some sherpas and go even more lux...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.