Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

Re: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

No cats today.. was at the viewpoint at first crack of dawn.. bull bugling, sort of.. as light gets better i see cows and calves way north. Grab my stuff including spotter and hustle hard.. get to where i can get a good view..

Sit down, watching the cows... whitetail doe and twins going bat shat crazy fun about 100 yards below me.. they were either trying out for the calgary stampede or doing meth... jumping, hopping, kicking bucking... hilarious to watch... a 30 pound fawn sure thinks its all that..

Saw a lone cow crossing towards me, stopped right on the train tracks and was frozen in position.. weird... i see now, coyote also on the tracks eyeing up this cow as his next meal.. not happening....

10 minutes later 2 more yotes joined the first, having a mexican standoff with the cow at 20 yards (i watch all of this thru the spotter)...

One yote thinks its a big dog and rakes a run at the cow. She rears up and brings a killer right hook.. coyote suddenly changes its mind and goes back to the other 2..

Eventually the cow wandered off and the yotes went looking for something less aggressive to eat...

Was gonna shoot the yotes but thought cow may have had a bull nearby... the bugles were in the same real close area
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Another busy day.. last night i was on a viewpoint, saw a bunch of cows and then see a big bull coming to them a LONG ways away.. so i took the chance, bailed off the cliff and went at them.. get into the thick stuff, cow xalled, kept going to intercept him.. get to the edge of the river just as tge sun goes down, the bull walks out on a sandbar with water puddles around him.. hes 70 yards..binos go up... cant see a flipping think, blinded by the sun and the reflection off the puddles.. long walk out in the dark.. forgot my headlamp in truck when i launched... stoopid...

Out this morning, see a huge herd, 30 cows walking down the edge of the river.. drive as close as i dare.. bail out of the truck.. stalk downriver a km they are on the far side.. all of the cows were in the wide open grass flats.. bull stayed in the timber.. at about 400 yards i got him in the spotter, he had 3 up high, with whale tails but i could never get a count on his bottom end... watched the herd for an hour til they vapourized into the timber... another walk of shame back to the truck.. i am 99% sure he was a 6 but not 100%... if i was absolutely sure the 7-08 would be barking at 400...

Oh well... seeing lots of elk, lots of bulls... having the time of my life

I enjoy reading ur updates Rock steady. Keep at it

My mistake last night was i decided to go light... running and gunning.. gun, binos, ammo... if i would have brought my spotter i may have been able to count points if i had avoided the direct sun, but with binos i thought i would be able to count...

Also saw 15 tom turkeys this morning but they were grazing on the lawn of the ft steele store..

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I am 99% sure he was a 6 but not 100%... if i was absolutely sure the 7-08 would be barking at 400...
    Nice to hear someone with your experience say this. I use a 7-08 for my primary deer rifle and have been told by many “knowledgeable” people that it’s a girls cartridge and I should be using a 300 blah blah blah for elk. I personally don’t buy that. Ballistics are ballistics. I like to think it’s not the “compensation” cartridge. I think I’d try to be inside 300 yards with my experience level.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Went back to where i saw the bull yesterday, sneeking in on an old road in the grey light... crash, bang... something running away from me.. then i smelled it.. bull elk.. oh well cant stalk them in that briar patch..

Get to the edge of the river and settle in for a wait by the river...

Just like clock work at 7:40 6 cows and a bull walk out into the barren ooen of the river bed.. spotter up.... 4 point..

Stayed for a couple more hours just watching.. saw other elk ghosting thru the timber but not coming out in the open. Lots of bugles...

Also saw several doe/fawn pairs come down for water..

Had a family of 6 otters swim by, dipping and diving looking for fish, i guess.. wow they swim fast

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Nice to hear someone with your experience say this. I use a 7-08 for my primary deer rifle and have been told by many “knowledgeable” people that it’s a girls cartridge and I should be using a 300 blah blah blah for elk. I personally don’t buy that. Ballistics are ballistics. I like to think it’s not the “compensation” cartridge. I think I’d try to be inside 300 yards with my experience level.
    My first kill with the 7-08 was back in 2016. Spike bull elk at probably 450 yards.. bullet went double lung and lodged against far hide. He turned to me and was not going down.. hammered him again, bullet entered high on the neck, followed the spine down and lodged pretty well on the spine at last rib.

Plenty of killing power, but i feel its greatest asset is very littlevrecoil, so there is no fear of flinching..

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Plenty of killing power, but i feel its greatest asset is very little recoil, so there is no fear of flinching..
    This was my thoughts too. I’ve hunted birds most of my life but hadn’t had time to go for longer hunts until the past 5 or so years. Being new to big game and having a bad shoulder, I figured the lowest “flinch factor” with good energy and trajectory past 2-300 was the best bet. 7-08 has all the above and ammo that’s fairly easy to find too.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Its kinda weird the way the gun world rolls.. for the longest time the fad was big mags, short mags, etc etc.. recently i think the nicer shooters,, 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 by 55 have really become popular