Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

Re: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

For future seasons....ever considered a tree stand where you can see your salt area?
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    For future seasons....ever considered a tree stand where you can see your salt area?
    Picked my salt site based on it was on bunch of trails, but thick regen (25 yr old pine).. no trees big enuff for a treestand
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Dang! Sounds like a great spot...but like you say, sounds a little tricky! BUT....wouldn't be half as much fun if it was easy!! Good luck out there RS!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I’m having a similar dilemma.....found a nice 6pt tonight in a area I know very well. Should I buy a tag tomorrow and sleep in the truck and hope for a chance at him on opening morning, find a new hunter to take in for a chance at their first elk/animal or leave him alone and hope he makes it through hunting season......

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    I’m having a similar dilemma.....found a nice 6pt tonight in a area I know very well. Should I buy a tag tomorrow and sleep in the truck and hope for a chance at him on opening morning, find a new hunter to take in for a chance at their first elk/animal or leave him alone and hope he makes it through hunting season......
    oh hey friend, elk did you say!?

Haha, best of luck with whatever you decide sir ! Let’s be honest finding these beasts and even laying eyes on them is half the fun.

The hardest part of my decision is knowing this bull will be killed due to his age and where he is hanging out. That’s why I want to find a new hunter or someone who’s never taken an elk to try and take this bull.

This is now part of my routine, to check this every day haha. Can't wait to read about the success!

Elk is my dream hunt for sure. I feel like they're hard to find around these parts though but I'm still new and only have 2 deer under my belt so my experience on the subject isn't worth much haha. I'm thinking I probably have to head towards the Koots but I don't think I'll have much luck convincing my husband of that..

No update from you today yet Rock. Maybe you're typing up a long success story?

No such luck.. rained most of the night, got there by 600, hiking at 615.. still pouring..

Got to the salt luck, hiked downhill 50 metres to get set up in the open spruce, cottonwood
    .. put down x bow, take off pack, look up !!! Busted... cow and calf at 30 yards looking right at me...once they left i spent the rest of the day sitting in the rain (camo is not rain proof but rain repellant)... soaked to the hide til i left.. nothing else seen.. back to the luck tomorrow.. that bull is now in my head

Well, we have our fingers crossed for you!

Thats what hunting is all about...

Not the thrill of the kill, just the fun of the chase... sig line..Deep Purple!!! Rock on