Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

Re: Rocksteady 2019 Dear Diary

Head down the trail following creek, splits, half goes left to a lake, right fork goes to swamp.. follow it in til i hit the edge of swamp, then start following tracks.. water 4" deep, no prob, wearing felt pack gumboots 12".. keep sneeking, water getting deeper, deeper.. see the cow at about 80 yards thru willow... keep sneeking, water getting deeper.. finally get within 50 yards of cow and she starts to move.. stayed still.. cow called, bull grunted, numerous times, they settled down.. waited a bit and started to close.. holy crap, thats deep, i am up to my nuts.. oh well cant get any wetter, kept going calling.. got a clear shot on cow but bull is a bit further back and in some willow... stood there up to my money maker for 20 minutes til the cow decided to leave.. bull started to follow, up came tge crossbow, guessed the range at 40 (rangefinder was in a pocket that got soaked and no longer worked).. stopped the bull with a grunt, safety off, steady crosshairs, squeeze...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    You had me worried when I saw the pic... That ain’t no spike-fork GOS moose!
    Leh so any bull starting sep 1

Sent arrow down range, saw the bull hump and jump for about 3 strides then stop and hang his head.. climbed up on the smallest piece of swamp turf/willow branches to reload crossbow.. back into the water.. hope there aint leeches in here.. stand there for 20 minutes and no shot, ciw decides to follow but i can tell he is hurt.. cow makes it to timber, bull is struggling to follow.. i head for the nearest shore.. 150 meters up to my boys til i hit dry land.. climb out and start stalking down to where bullexited swamp towards fsr. I hear some crashing in bush so try to get elevation and eyes on noise... sit there for 5 minutes, then i hear a couple vehicles and some talking..

"Wtf... theres no season on these?"
    "Betcha he got hit by a car"

So i head straight to the voices.. 3 trucks parked on road.. i approach and ask if they had seen my bull, i have an leh..they came around the corner before i showed up and the bull was laying in the ditch.. when they got close he wandered into bush and laid down again.. as i am getting intel from these guys and trying to catch my wind (ever try walking in big gum boots with a gallon of water in each?)

One guy goes to the back of the truck to pee and sees the bull sneeking through the trees away from us.. he whistles.. i see the bull labouring down the road and cross.. i scoot as fast as my water loaded gumboots will let me til i get to where i saw him enter willow pit.. grwat bloodtrail across the road..

Decision time.. moose is hurt, i am soaked and packing way too much water in boots... gonna pull out.. backed off.. gents that i talked to gave me a ride to my truck (thanks guys).. i started up the taco and went to last blood.. got on the phone, called the others in my group hunt saying i need help.. unfortunately they are up the back of another drainage and 2 hours away... we have a heart to heart, play by play and we decide i sit tight and wait for them.. turned out to be a wise decision...

Luckily i had a spare set of camo in my truck, so stripped out of that into dry clothes, ditched the sicks and boots and put heater on high.. dried out, sort of, checked internet, played crosswords til the crew showed up.. 3 adults, 1 10 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Leh so any bull starting sep 1
    . I figured that out as soon as you said “guy in my group”. Loving the story! Electronics in the breast pockets next time
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

So after 2 hours of me dying from nerves, the crew shows up.. i brief them on what happened and where the bull went.. one guy had a rifle (grizz problem in the area) me and J had bows (both part of the shared hunt), 1 grwat packer and the 10 year old..

We gear up and and sneeking through the swamp and alder, following blood trail.. after 100 yards in, trail goes cold. We finger out to find blood.. rifle guy "pssst, pssst.. right here, still alive "

Me and J both sneek over to him and the bull is 25 tards away bedded looking straight away.. no shot.. i suggested a shot to the back of the spine cause i had a great rest. J said no, he has to stand..

I look back to rifle guy and signal him to bull grunt or cow call to get this thing to stand.. he is in 4 foot deep ferns..

Grunt, grunt, cow call, grunt... finally he rises, but rather than just turning he jumps a few yards.. i fire, J fires.. bullgoes 5 yards and stops almost broadside.. J can reliad his compound faster than i can reliad the x bow.. i get loaded, J says, i got a perfect shot, get out of my way.. i take a step off and he puts an arrow perfectly in the seem of the shoulder.. that rocks the bulls world.. he starts to wobble and as soon as he goes down on all 4 i stalk over and blow a bolt clean through the lungs.. backed out and waited him to expire.. his 5 and ass slaps..

Quartered on site using gutless method and packboards had him in the truck in no time..

320 lb on the hook. Less the head and the tenderloins (supper tomorrow)..

So the aftermath..

My first shot (up to my balls in water) was a bit low, went in behind right front leg and lodged in lower left front..

When he stood up and jumped, i shot him right in the hind quarter, J shot low and actually gut shot him 3 " up from the belly line. (She was a western scenario, you cant prepare or practice for that). J second shot was super good, in the shoulder crease into vitals, my final shot, perfect pass through the lungs..

I feel so fortunate to have hunting buddies who will call me when an opportunity like thus arises and then come help me finish the adventure.. truly blessed to gave hunting partners like this...

I am tired as F@#k, still wet to the bone and think i may have a leech living in my underwear.. hope you enjoy the story all.. unbelievable but true..

Dude you are on a roll!!!! Congrats!!!

GREAT ! Keep it coming RJ