Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Elk Bugling Activity Report

Re: Elk Bugling Activity Report

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^thats good to hear, so are pops in the EK back on the upswing maybe? Heard no bugles so far but did hear a lone cow mewing in reg 8 thus far...
    With the easier winter and great summer feed selection, the elk did recover a bit this past year. In early August, all my cams were showing one to one ratios with cows and calves. (At least any cow I saw on cam, I could account a calf to) This year there was a definite increase in spike bulls. Always a good sign for next year.

I'm not sure populations are up up, but trending that way. I think the main obstacle we face is expectation. I believe Government want 8500 elk, while I'd prefer something in the 25,000 range.

Well that's good to hear, but yes more would be nice...do we need to pressure the government to not be so dictated by the cattleman's association?

Well that's good to hear, but yes more would be nice...do we need to pressure the government to not be so dictated by the cattleman's association?
    For sure. My judgement of current Government is they talk about doing the right things. Strategies, objective setting, plans, and action. Although they don't have the resources/budget to do everything and they seem to be more reactive than objective and results based. The current reaction to CWD is a good example.

This is the part everyone on HBC and who hunts the EK for Elk needs to understand!!!
    We need money for Habitat Enhancement (imo, Protected Winter Range), that's a give me folks!!
    BUT, there sure as hell wont be that much money put towards it IF they are only asking that the NEW # for
    Elk is 8,500!!!!'
    WHICH, FYI, we are not that far away from that number anyways, estimates last year were around 6800 Elk.
    So, if you think the Elk hunting (the valleys being alive with Bugling) is just perfect and all okay, then do
    nothing.
    IF you think it "blows" then understand what is coming and start pushing for much higher Elk #'s.
    Then, if we have money, the will have to throw it into the EK.
    That low elk # they want, is so they don't have to correct the wrongs of the past!!!!
    Sorry, back to Bugling Reports.
    Good post J-T!!

Nothing to report.. Stuck at my desk at work...

Question for all.. What are the elk usually doing around Thanksgiving long weekend? Let's say Nakusp to Revelstoke-ish area. This will be my only chance to hunt looks like this year so I wanted to try and find an area where I have a chance at a mixed bag of stuff, Elk being preferred. I've never hunted in this region so it will be a new venture for me. Found some nice spots that I think would hold deer or bear or something at least.
    Last edited by Taylor329; 09-16-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

I’ll have a report by the weekend. Headed to the halfway river on Thursday. Looking forward to it.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

They were chatting tonight called in 2 4point bulls tonight from 1100 yds to 124. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    For sure. My judgement of current Government is they talk about doing the right things. Strategies, objective setting, plans, and action. Although they don't have the resources/budget to do everything and they seem to be more reactive than objective and results based. The current reaction to CWD is a good example.
    Yes it's really sad the lack of resources being thrown into hunting...has all our hunting licence revenue been officially all put back into wildlife and habitat like they're supposed to yet? Not that I've heard..that's the start we need..

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    This is the part everyone on HBC and who hunts the EK for Elk needs to understand!!!
    We need money for Habitat Enhancement (imo, Protected Winter Range), that's a give me folks!!
    BUT, there sure as hell wont be that much money put towards it IF they are only asking that the NEW # for
    Elk is 8,500!!!!'
    WHICH, FYI, we are not that far away from that number anyways, estimates last year were around 6800 Elk.
    So, if you think the Elk hunting (the valleys being alive with Bugling) is just perfect and all okay, then do
    nothing.
    IF you think it "blows" then understand what is coming and start pushing for much higher Elk #'s.
    Then, if we have money, the will have to throw it into the EK.
    That low elk # they want, is so they don't have to correct the wrongs of the past!!!!
    Sorry, back to Bugling Reports.
    Good post J-T!!
    Sorry to derail the thread...how come our BCWF federation hasn't been standing up for wildlife against the cattlemans association? Because ultimately, we want more wildlife, more elk = more bugling activity!

Sorry to derail the thread...how come our BCWF federation hasn't been standing up for wildlife against the cattlemans association? Because ultimately, we want more wildlife, more elk = more bugling activity!
    Honestly, hard to know who is all against having more elk.
    I'm sure ranchers are just one group, and we have heard about ICBC and collision reduction (build fences then).
    And I suspect even Developers are against anything being designated Winter Range and thus off-limits.
    It's just how much everything has changed in 30 years now, and there are a bunch more players that are also probably not mentioned.
    J-T probably has a better grasp on all the "behind the scenes" bs, but either way, having a low target of elk population for the future allows
    the government to get "off the hook"!
    And we hunters get blamed and restricted further.

Anyways, best to put that to another thread.
    Elk Bugling Report is a great thread to have right now.