Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk Bugling Activity Report

Re: Elk Bugling Activity Report

Saw a reasonable amount of sign where we were this morning, no bugles to be heard.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Still no bugles.. was on site 30 minutes before shooting lught..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

We spotted bulls on the 31st. Moved into them on the 1st. They were calling and moving away. But they bugled until Noon. Day 2 we moved in on a bachelor group of 3 bulls, moved to within 60 yards. We kept the bulls bugling until 1:30. Moved from one group of bulls to the next. The bigger ones with cows moved off, other bulls moved in. Had them at 40 yrds for a while. Bulls were initiating the bugling. We responded with bugles and we moved with cow calls. In tight we used a combination of cow/calf calling and bugling.

Best hard hunting we've done in a while. Gaining the elevation in the dark and hunting the small pockets on the mtn top. Moving along ridges, watching the wind and moving through elk zone. A few face plants, a few cuts and some bruising. Its tough country. Great for the soul.

JT, sounds like a great hunt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    We spotted bulls on the 31st. Moved into them on the 1st. They were calling and moving away. But they bugled until Noon. Day 2 we moved in on a bachelor group of 3 bulls, moved to within 60 yards. We kept the bulls bugling until 1:30. Moved from one group of bulls to the next. The bigger ones with cows moved off, other bulls moved in. Had them at 40 yrds for a while. Bulls were initiating the bugling. We responded with bugles and we moved with cow calls. In tight we used a combination of cow/calf calling and bugling.

Best hard hunting we've done in a while. Gaining the elevation in the dark and hunting the small pockets on the mtn top. Moving along ridges, watching the wind and moving through elk zone. A few face plants, a few cuts and some bruising. Its tough country. Great for the soul.
    That sounds awesome! What kind of miles are you putting in for days like that?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter View Post
    That sounds awesome! What kind of miles are you putting in for days like that?
    Our average day was 10 - 12km, in tough country, and an elevation rise and fall of about 600 metres. ( I use a Fit bit, and Samsung phone, as well as Avenza mapping for distance and elevation confirmations)
    Usually started hiking around 4:30AM, into the pocket by daylight. The speed of the hunt depended on the elk location and our location proximal to them. Sometimes it felt like flowing yoga or tai chi movements. Minimal food, maximum water.

Zero heard or seen at my cam ��
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Good stuff JT.
    Rock, just be patient.
    Granted, having to contend with private property might be your downfall in this pursuit.
    Nothing worse than "no go borders" to stop one from getting into the action and having success.
    I know it is an issue for me, and can be super frustrating, but part of the deal.

But like JT described, a big bull with the cows is hard to suck in and is why so many speak of "going in after them" (this is for other novice members).
    But, JT also states younger bulls will come in.
    It's just a toss of the dice if it is legal or not in size.

Been watching this thread for a while now. Interesting. Where I am, I'm seeing sign. No bugling and nothing seen. 8-5
    Resident Hunter

Im in West Koots. Have had some morning gathering bugles in the morning. Cows were stubborn but moved higher and disappeared. No further talking after that. Last Friday were had a bull going after more gathering bugles and cow sounds. Took me three tries, but the final ripping bugle and chuckle woke the bull up. Quiet chuckles in response. We ramped him up and had it at 40yds but couldn't close the deal. Took a lot of encouragement to get him going.