Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americans are way ahead of us

Americans are way ahead of us

Up to 1100 sea lions will be killed,culled,euthanized,whatever in the Columbia to reduce predation of salmon..too bad the weakwristed Canadian DFO doesn’t have the balls to face facts and implement a multilevel approach to enhancing salmon numbers...hatcheries, stream enhancement, predation control( our pinaped population has increased exponentially and susprise surprise -they eat salmon,lots of them ) and a plan that includes ALL user groups,commercial,FN and recreational ...but in typical Canadian style,they’ll just ‘study’ it until the last salmon is gone.Even if they started right now,it would be at least a decade away befoe we see any significant results,and by that time it will be too late for many of the recreational fishermen and guiding industry who are already selling their boats ,business folding
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 08-31-2019 at 09:35 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Americans are way ahead of us

I think more needs to be done than killing off predators. I read an article in one of the local newspapers on the island and it suggested that enhancing salmon wasn’t having as good of effects as they hoped, because the salmon weren’t surviving very long after they hit the ocean.

My thoughts are the ocean has been over fished so much that the ecosystem can’t support the amount of salmon it used to. Where I grew up you could catch more Dungeness crabs in one trap than you could eat in a week and now you’re lucky if you get single legal crab between 2 traps. Same goes for prawns. I think the down stream effects of that kind of thing are affecting everything else more than we know.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I think more needs to be done than killing off predators. I read an article in one of the local newspapers on the island and it suggested that enhancing salmon wasn’t having as good of effects as they hoped, because the salmon weren’t surviving very long after they hit the ocean.

My thoughts are the ocean has been over fished so much that the ecosystem can’t support the amount of salmon it used to. Where I grew up you could catch more Dungeness crabs in one trap than you could eat in a week and now you’re lucky if you get single legal crab between 2 traps. Same goes for prawns. I think the down stream effects of that kind of thing are affecting everything else more than we know.
    Again, there are so many more people now.
    Grew up in Boundary Bay and folks went out with crab traps and had no issues.
    But now, everyone does it!
    Worse, as the price goes up in the stores, more people run out there with traps.
    Vicious circle!

I think in the States they are trying to remove the issues with their Dams that have caused much of the issues to begin with.
    Adding these other strategies does help as well and good on them.

But there will always be a market for salmon, and they will always have troubles getting the numbers back because there are just
    more mouths to feed today then 50 years ago.
    Some folks are willing to pay big bucks to get their hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Up to 1100 sea lions will be killed,culled,euthanized,whatever in the Columbia to reduce predation of salmon..too bad the weakwristed Canadian DFO doesn’t have the balls to face facts and implement a multilevel approach to enhancing salmon numbers...hatcheries, stream enhancement, predation control( our pinaped population has increased exponentially and susprise surprise -they eat salmon,lots of them ) and a plan that includes ALL user groups,commercial,FN and recreational ...but in typical Canadian style,they’ll just ‘study’ it until the last salmon is gone.Even if they started right now,it would be at least a decade away befoe we see any significant results,and by that time it will be too late for many of the recreational fishermen and guiding industry who are already selling their boats ,business folding
    First we need to get rid of the Libtards in power like they did in the US

Theoretically the bait in crab traps feed crabs,as long as the females and undersized ones are released.as far as the ocean supporting salmon, thers no shortage of bait, huge schools of it showing up on the sounder.But we must protect the spawners they have run the gauntlet and are on the home stretch to spawn.California is having the biggest Chinook runs in decades,they faced the same issues we have right now ,but our’ wild salmon’( do nothing ) report card is in- and its a dismal failure )
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 08-31-2019 at 01:07 PM.

The US invests heavily in wildlife and ocean stocks and have the money and will to be proactive.
    Canada is the other side of the coin.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post

Maybe read up a bit on the predation of the smolts by the seals at the mouth of the fraser and you will maybe see how much damage they do before the smolts even hit open water.
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    The US invests heavily in wildlife and ocean stocks and have the money and will to be proactive.
    Canada is the other side of the coin.
    Unfortunately a large portion of Canadian fishermen/hunters don’t want to open their own wallets even for a dollar either

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Unfortunately a large portion of Canadian fishermen/hunters don’t want to open their own wallets even for a dollar either
    True.
    But lets be honest to, if we open up our wallets, will we even get an opportunity.
    We do open our wallets "for some"! and pay a lot of money in doing so, so that only "they" can get the opportunity.
    Well, it sure seems that way of late!

Maybe I am just getting old and pissy?
    I know it's the wrong attitude in a way, and putting money into it is the right way to fix it.
    But I question who we are fixing it for.
    Who's future???

We open our wallets and it goes into ‘General Revenue’