Thread: Few Fawns Surviving On Chattahoochee National Forest

Few Fawns Surviving On Chattahoochee National Forest

Few Fawns Surviving On Chattahoochee National Forest

https://www.gon.com/news/few-fawns-s...zLZgV6yH3AXjM4

Early results from an ongoing research study looking into the drastic decline in deer harvest and hunter success in the north Georgia mountains doesn’t bode well for fawn survival.

Only three of 13 fawns tracked by researchers at the Chattahoochee National Forest survived to 4 months.

According to a presentation at the Southeast Deer Study Group meeting in Kentucky, of the 10 fawns that died during the four-month study period, coyotes killed four, black bears ate two (possibly three) and a bobcat killed one.

A fawn survival rate of just 23 percent is alarming. The three-year study will wrap up in 2020. For north Georgia deer hunters, answers and solutions can’t come soon enough.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Few Fawns Surviving On Chattahoochee National Forest

My experience in North Georgia would seem to indicate that the ticks would bring down any survivors. Add wild hogs into the mix and it's just not a deer friendly place. GD

Re: Few Fawns Surviving On Chattahoochee National Forest

My thoughts on this is for our local deer populations I am seeing a lot less deer in the areas I hunt and I am see a lot more coyotes and especially black bears.

I know we have had a few bad winters but could this be the reason deer numbers are down so much I used to see 10 - 15 deer in an hours drive or morning hunt now I'm lucky to see even one.

I'm starting to think its time to start cancelling my bear tags instead of passing on them.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...