Thread: Erratic Shots While Tuning

Erratic Shots While Tuning

I am shooting a Bowtech Reign 7. 70lb draw, 28" Draw length. I am trying to tune 125gr broadheads and having a hell of a time getting them to settle. I have 300 spine carnivores right now. The only thing I can come up with is that this spine still isn't stiff enough for this set up. Is there anyone with any experience shooting a fast higher weight set-up like this? What shafts worked for you?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Erratic Shots While Tuning

gold tip 400

100 grain thunderheadd..use 4 inch vein and split the razor in the middle of veins test shoot if it doesnt plain sharpen and good luck.

my go to rig is the same as yours but i shoot 29.5 inches 4 inch groups at 100yds.not that i hunt that far.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    gold tip 400

100 grain thunderheadd..use 4 inch vein and split the razor in the middle of veins test shoot if it doesnt plain sharpen and good luck.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Which gold tips do you shoot? I also thought about changing to 100gr to relive more stress on the shaft. Do you fletch your own arrows to get the 4" Veins?

I find it interesting that you're getting that kind of accuracy with a 400 spine as well. that seems soft to me. When I use the chart and spine calculator on Gold Tip's website it comes back with a 300 spine.

What length are your arrows? Are you using weighted inserts? I'm using a 70lb bow but a slower Carbon Icon. Have 125g heads and 75g inserts with arrows cut to 28.5 inches at a 30 inch draw. I think you'd be fine without weighted inserts and arrows under 28 inches but I'm not expert. I have 300 spine Easton Axis 6mm shafts; maybe on the edge of being underspined with the weight up front but I'm still tuning as I just got these built for elk season.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Rafiki View Post
    What length are your arrows? Are you using weighted inserts? I'm using a 70lb bow but a slower Carbon Icon. Have 125g heads and 75g inserts with arrows cut to 28.5 inches at a 30 inch draw. I think you'd be fine without weighted inserts and arrows under 28 inches but I'm not expert. I have 300 spine Easton Axis 6mm shafts; maybe on the edge of being underspined with the weight up front but I'm still tuning as I just got these built for elk season.
    I am shooting 29" arrows, just the stock inserts that come with the arrows, I believe they are 15gr?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyshot22 View Post
    I am shooting 29" arrows, just the stock inserts that come with the arrows, I believe they are 15gr?
    They should be in that range for aluminum inserts. Most spine charts I've seen would say you're fine as far as I know.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Have you tried to paper tune your set up with a 125 field tip to see what your getting for arrow flight. What broadheads are you using,fixed? Have you bareshaft tuned your bow? From my experience some broadheads just don't fly very well,this may be your case.

When I shot 300 spine carnivores, they were out of my nitrum turbo and RX1 turbo at 70 lbs and 28" draw.

Cut to 27.25", 75gr brass weights, regular aluminum insert and 100gr head. Darts!!!!

Those arrows are a little over-spined but shouldn't make much of a difference. You will notice arrows that are weaker spined but overspined a little isn't an issue.