Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunters

Re: Elk hunters

Awesome!

sorry I didn’t ask for “stats” for bragging rights, just generally curious on others success, as I have a very very small network of hunters that I hunt with / talk to.

Thanks for the reply’s so far, good job guys.

Well I'm sorry to say I haven’t sealed the deal on an elk. I had two good chances in the same year that I mucked up. Looking back I probably wasn’t aggressive enough and was situated in the wrong place for a clear shot.

I have called them in numerous times for a clear shot, but not enough points. That’s when the camera comes out!

Have hunted elk in 14 seasons over the years.

Got 1 cow (bow), 1 calf (bow), 1 spike (bow), 1 cow(muzzleloader), 1 5x5 (bow).

I had some great hunts over the years and called in some good animals. Come close to a few big boys but never able to close the deal. Absolutely nothing to date compares to having a bull screaming at you in the timber. 100% most exciting huntng Ive ever done is hunting rutting elk. And nothing is enjoyed more at my families table then elk meat, regardless of how its prepared.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-29-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Ive hunted Elk 5 years now in the Kootenays (8 days hunting each year). Haven't even seen a 6 point I coulda put the sights on, so zero bulls for me. But it's always been a good time. Haven't been able to scout it much.

Cant remember the exact number but I’ve taken at least 10 bulls and 2 cows. First bull elk I was 19(2000), one cow( archery ). My son shot his first elk( cow on my tag ) when he was 10(2013), he has taken 3 bulls since then. Biggest elk was a 305” archery bull but I agree with rocksteady.....filling my freezer is the more important than antler size.

I love hunting elk, have been for about a week a season for the last 4 seasons or so...unfortunately I usually can only hunt them for about a week before going back to focusing on deer so I can at least get a couple deer in the freezer..the last few years I've been putting about a week or two total pre season into scouting..

Have taken a half dozen bulls now and called many in for friends. Nothing quite like screaming bulls. Probably spend at least two weeks every year hunting elk. Scouting is non existent. Learn to bugle and cover ground until you get a bull to respond. Always be mindful of the wind because that is the number one reason why elk will bust you. Suggest subscribing to Elk 101 university of elk. A lot of excellent elk advice in that course.
    Live to Hunt...

Got a couple bulls in Region 4 in the early 1990's when was a GOS for 3pt and bigger. Have hunted Region 7A and B a few times in the last 10 yrs with no success.

I was lucky that only 1 was less than 6pt's all those times.
    Now it seems hard to find a 6.
    5 pts I see still but also less.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Well I'm sorry to say I haven’t sealed the deal on an elk. I had two good chances in the same year that I mucked up. Looking back I probably wasn’t aggressive enough and was situated in the wrong place for a clear shot.

I have called them in numerous times for a clear shot, but not enough points. That’s when the camera comes out!
    Don't be too hard on yourself.
    I know I have screwed up as man, if not more chances then the success I have had.
    Nikki Luada (F1 superstar) had a saying, and I truly believe he meant it!.....

He learned more from losing a race than he ever did from winning one.
    So, you have to lose to learn to win.