Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunters

Re: Elk hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Have taken a half dozen bulls now and called many in for friends. Nothing quite like screaming bulls. Probably spend at least two weeks every year hunting elk. Scouting is non existent. Learn to bugle and cover ground until you get a bull to respond. Always be mindful of the wind because that is the number one reason why elk will bust you. Suggest subscribing to Elk 101 university of elk. A lot of excellent elk advice in that course.
    Agree with the majority of this but have to say scouting is a huge part for our group. Simply from an inventory perspective. Pretty easy to pick a drainage that has elk in it, and any decent elk hunter can probably get a bull to light up. We scout to know who is running the neighborhood. Not all the guys in our group care about what kind of numbers a bull will throw up but it is a lot easier to pass up a decent bull when you know there is 360"+ patrolling the hills.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Agree with the majority of this but have to say scouting is a huge part for our group. Simply from an inventory perspective. Pretty easy to pick a drainage that has elk in it, and any decent elk hunter can probably get a bull to light up. We scout to know who is running the neighborhood. Not all the guys in our group care about what kind of numbers a bull will throw up but it is a lot easier to pass up a decent bull when you know there is 360"+ patrolling the hills.
    Our group is not selective...first 6pt goes down. Agree if one was looking for a better bull then maybe scouting would help. The issue in WK are the bulls will travel over 20km to find cows. So one can camera up and scout, but there is a high likelihood that bull won’t be there come hunting season.
    Live to Hunt...

well I am getting excited. Just got a text from a my friend. Bulls were bugling in the spot that I hunt until 5:30am before making their way up the mtn. They are fired up. Hopefully they stay that way until Sunday/Monday.
    I am trying to cut my first elk tag. 3rd year hunting and have been close each year. Keep learning more with every season.

Rattler

This I agree and disagree with I think it's a mixed bag... 2 years ago had 7 different legal bulls on cams first couple weeks of September one particular was shot by a buddy 36+ km away 3 days later and I'm sure they will travel even further in shorter periods of time . Also the past few years I have had bulls hang in a 5km radius from early july through end of September until the snow pushed them out... in saying that cows around all summer as well

Lone Bulls "will travel" a long way in search of cows.
    Yes, some big bulls can hang close by cows during the summer for sure, but others will search.
    A bull that loses a battle in one area will move on to another area to see if he can win there.

36+ kms away, i believe that easily!

Early season, sept 1 - 15.

Are you guys covering as much ground as possible , trying to locate using location bugles, or mostly cow calls?

ive been listening to elknut podcasts a lot, he seems to swear by location bugles.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

Are you guys covering as much ground as possible , trying to locate using location bugles, or mostly cow calls?

ive been listening to elknut podcasts a lot, he seems to swear by location bugles.
    Yes and no.. if they are there they respond (bigger bulls) spikers stay quiet
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Find the sign.. poop.. rubs, tracks.. start there

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

Every elk hunter swears by their methods... does not apply to every herd and bull..

I have heard bulls screaming that you thought, no way, that us the crappiest bugle i have ever heard, you better practice more and then a six walks out of the bush

Congrats on your draw, I as well got a draw up in 1-09. Looking to head up in early Oct as well. Good Luck!