Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunters

Re: Elk hunters

We've put some dandies on the ground and have passed on numerous bulls every season.
    If you get away from pressure..... elk will do what elk do and are fairly predictable and easy to find.
    Hunt pressured areas and it is a much tougher proposition to find success.

When elk get bounced, ESPECIALLY OUT OF THEIR BEDDING AREA, they can easily move 5 to 10 miles to find safety again.
    Get away from pressured areas and focus on locations that boast good habitat and elk should come fairly easily.

Last edited by Ourea; 08-31-2019 at 11:46 AM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Now that there is a Jim Dandy. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome, thanks for all the tips. I can tell everyone’s counting down the days.

^^^^^
    Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    To all the die hard elk hunters.

How many years have you been elk hunting and how many bulls have you harvested?

its one thing to tip over a deer or 3 every year, but how many harvest elk regularly?

How much time pre season and during season goes into your wapiti addiction?

Myself, I got full blown addicted last season, spent all spring and summer hiking and scouting and trail caming. Zero elk harvested for me, but I’ve dedicated more time then ever to hunt this year. I’m looking forward to it. Only 3 days until opener. Good luck everyone.
    RackStar
    I have never hunted elk but defineatly would like to . I think of elk as majestic animals , monarchs if you will.
    , Would love to learn how to call . I have learned to call moose and been successful with that . Would like to learn from someone who is an ethical Hunter not a druggy obviously does not drink alcohol when hunting , but enjoys a beverage around the campfire at night . Maybe there is someone on HBC that is older and seasoned that needs a helping hand
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Rattler,

Completely agree, most hunters/groups are not selective. Some of us are. One drainage we hunt usually has 8-10 cameras between all the hanging valleys, saddles etc. In nearly a decade we haven't got more than a dink raghorn on any of those cams during the summer - cows/calves and small bulls. Once the end of August hits, things change drastically and the real bulls roll in. This goes on well into October. Most guys in our small group will pop a primer on the first legal bull they see but they've been known to change their standards more than once when a hammer is hanging around. No arguing that cam inventory is responsible for that. We don't hang our cams where the bulls are in the summer, it's pointless because they won't be there come September. The areas they roll into during the rut get carpet bombed, however.
    Yup, I talked to a few loggers who spent the whole summer in the valley, way up, in some decent cutblocks and big fire habitat.
    They were disappointed at the fact that they hadn't seen a single elk in there the whole summer.
    Then, in a day, everything changed, and then they spotted over 50 elk in there.
    Just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    We've put some dandies on the ground and have passed on numerous bulls every season.
    If you get away from pressure..... elk will do what elk do and are fairly predictable and easy to find.
    Hunt pressured areas and it is a much tougher proposition to find success.

When elk get bounced, ESPECIALLY OUT OF THEIR BEDDING AREA, they can easily move 5 to 10 miles to find safety again.
    Get away from pressured areas that boast good habitat and elk should come fairly easily.

Yup, you go in and blow it, and yes, they are gone.
    Then your back to scouting/tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yup, I talked to a few loggers who spent the whole summer in the valley, way up, in some decent cutblocks and big fire habitat.
    They were disappointed at the fact that they hadn't seen a single elk in there the whole summer.
    Then, in a day, everything changed, and then they spotted over 50 elk in there.
    Just like that.
    Pretty standard.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Nice harvest. How many points each side?

My Dad started me early at 14-15, I am now 68, haven't hunted elk for 4-5 years. Have a disability which does not allow me to hunt any longer. Just out of curiosity I just went into the jewelry box and counted my ivories and have 40 so that means 20 elk in my lifetime..But, I do live where I can be hunting elk within 5 minutes from home..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."