Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk hunters

Elk hunters

To all the die hard elk hunters.

How many years have you been elk hunting and how many bulls have you harvested?

its one thing to tip over a deer or 3 every year, but how many harvest elk regularly?

How much time pre season and during season goes into your wapiti addiction?

Myself, I got full blown addicted last season, spent all spring and summer hiking and scouting and trail caming. Zero elk harvested for me, but I’ve dedicated more time then ever to hunt this year. I’m looking forward to it. Only 3 days until opener. Good luck everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk hunters

First year for me last year, archery hunting got within 43 yards of a giant and had a second satellite bull at 87 yards. Couldn't seal the deal, so we're headed back to get them on Sunday.

Since I don't have elk in my local area...I don't get to hunt them daily. I have spent over 100 days hunting elk, zero bulls down so far...
    Hopefully this year is my year haha, heading south Sept 13
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Been hunting elk about 15 years, got my first LEH draw and bull elk in 2009. I've been fortunate enough to harvest 6 bulls total so far. Totally addicted, once you hear the bugle and call one in to 50 yards, your hooked for life. I have a once in a lifetime Vancouver Island Rosevelt bull draw this year starting in October.

Started hunting elk 10 years ago with about 6 solid attempts of about 8 days each year (only because I cant hunt elk in smithers and have 3 kids, otherwise the number would skyrocket!). 2 successful hunts with 2 6pts and many close calls with either making a mistake or just not knowing how to close the final yards and seal the deal. Every year has been more action with elk and armed with more knowledge, more experience, better calling and better gear.

Both elk were last day and second last day of hunt. This year I hope to get one early to take pressure off and enjoy the rest of the hunt and calling for buddies.

0 days pre-season and scouting.

This year will be 9 days hunting in a great area. Leaving in 21 days!!

Since 1985 for me when I could carry a rifle and hunt, but went on my first elk adventure to the same area in 1976 with my dad and his friends.
    For me, I think it is 15 bulls in total and no cows.
    Been part of other friends success as well, usually being the one that does the calling, probably around 5 or so.
    And then others own their own during the time we are up there.

Usually only spend 9 or 10 days, but 2 of them are travel time from the LM, mind you the drive up was always at nght and arrived at 1st light.
    (almost 42 hours up straight without sleep!)
    Most of the success came in the late 80's and the 90's.
    Not so much now.

Scouting was just getting out on the mtn bikes and hitting areas that we learned over time was were they would hang.
    I think what we really accomplished best, was learning "how they travel" and their little secret routes back and forth across the river as they
    worked they way up or down.
    So, we looked for elk tracks, fresh ones.
    That was first and foremost, and then we zeroed in on them more.

Best all around success was just sitting along the river, that had a long pinch point and calling.
    Could be nothing for 6 days straight, and then the last 6 hours, have 2 bulls down.
    There was one trail they liked to use to come out an look what was up, and we dropped atleast 10 elk in that same 5 yard circle.
    It was literally a bone yard as we would debone the game right there.

this will be my 13th season hunting elk, have taken six bulls. Have served a few up on a platter for partners too

Not too many hours go by in a day when I am not thinking about elk
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I believe I have taken 10 bulls in the 30 years I have hunted in Region 7b ...

I have never hunted them but have 1 6x6 I got on a GOS by pure luck (in my current avitar)
    I put 3 elk pics on the gallery here but still haven't learned to post them properly...apologies in advance
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 08-29-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Not gonna say...

Elk are my passion and i am quite successful.. stats mean nada... i prefer lbs in the frrezer vs inches of bone for B&C or P&Y

My biggest bull, bone wise was over 310.. biggest weight was over 500 on the hook.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main