Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Re: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Not gonna deny the paranoia by some, but the fact is, there are a lot of negative bear encounters every year that go unreported; I'd say most.

Factor in the populous that never leaves the city or spends any real time in bear country and the odds quickly change from slim to quite possible.
    Very true! I once spoke with a conservation officer years ago in the Okanagan, who explained to me that there was a black bear attack on a young 10 year old boy, up in the Aberdeen plateau area. The boy survived but was chewed up on the back pretty bad. Nothing was made public as it was known that many of the local businesses do not want to scare the tourists away from the area. So, I do know that some attacks are not made public.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Re: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Thanks Steve, After several years as a bear guide and 60 + years as a bear hunter, I have learned one thing. Pepper is for AFTER the bear is on the BBQ. 45-70s and 12 ga Brennekes are for BEFORE the bear is dead.
    I'm with you & Steve 100%.
    I use a GG 45/70 loaded with 540 gr Garrets when fresh grizz signs present & 375 when in open country. The 12 ga Defender is normally at camp loaded with Brennekes within easy reach for all to use.

Reason I would never, never rely on bear spray?

California driver attacks another driver almost emptying a can of bear spray into his face at very close range.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCQdN2XadM

So much for bear spray stopping a determined predatory bear!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein