Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Re: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

If you want to carry spray go ahead but I will always pick a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    If you want to carry spray go ahead but I will always pick a firearm.
    Me too, but not on the Bowron lakes chain, not in Jasper or mt robson, all places i frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    My neighbor actually had a beer tear a hole through his garage door to get his garbage.
    Budweiser or Molson? Must have been an ANGRY beer!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Lol...
    Homebrew

As much as city people like to blame homeowners for causing problems with bears, sometimes they are just aggresive and hungry. We had never seen this one around, about 3 year old boar.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

As has been said, there have been many threads about this subject.
    I said earlier in another thread that I've tested the large cans that shoot out a stream rather
    than a mist. It reaches much further. I've also practiced grabbing my can, removing the safety
    clip, and then trying to aim at a fast approaching target...it isn't easy. Neither is unshouldering
    and aiming a firearm. Other than predatory bears, if a person has enough warning of a bear's
    approach or intention I believe either defense will work, but having said that, like Foxton Gundogs,
    I would rather rely on real hitting firepower. There have been many incidents where a person, even
    someone very familiar with the outdoors, has been mauled and/or killed while carrying a gun or spray.
    They simply didn't get the chance to use them. There's also been documented incidents where an
    approaching predatory bear attacked despite getting soaked in pepper spray. A decent gun in those
    incidents would very likely stop the bear...permanently.

I've had spray both work and fail miserably. Some bears are assholes and they don't give a shit about a face full of spray. I won't rely on it.

it's unfortunate they won't let us carry handguns in the bush. I can draw and put 4 or 5 shots into a bears face in less time than it takes to get spray into action.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

it's unfortunate they won't let us carry handguns in the bush. I can draw and put 4 or 5 shots into a bears face in less time than it takes to get spray into action.

X2 THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Lol...
    Homebrew

As much as city people like to blame homeowners for causing problems with bears, sometimes they are just aggresive and hungry. We had never seen this one around, about 3 year old boar.
    I lived in the woods for 30 years. Had black bears walk in the patio doors in summertime, and rip the siding offa neighbors shed when his idiot renters left garbage in. The biggest black bear I’ve ever seen (and I saw a LOT of bears) fell asleep groaning under a tree 20’ from my back door after eating another neighbors 5 gallon bucket of cat food. Some people just don’t get it...

For the record, it’s 405 grain .45-70 rounds for me. I own bear spray, but it’s for two legged wildlife.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I disagree DeepJeep I am never without a firearm when I am out in the bush might only be a 14" barreled single shot T/C Contender carbine in a thumper round like 338JDJ#2 or 375JDJ.

I did this a few years ago = my opinion of the use of pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AVr7gNmrU
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I disagree DeepJeep I am never without a firearm when I am out in the bush might only be a 14" barreled single shot T/C Contender carbine in a thumper round like 338JDJ#2 or 375JDJ.

I did this a few years ago = my opinion of the use of pepper spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-AVr7gNmrU
    Wow!
    Perfect example of being proficient with a rifle!

You killed the charging grizzly in 2 seconds!

Preparing myself for a bear charge I used to practice at a gravel pit about a dozen miles east of Canoe Creek with my GG 45/70 shooting as quickly & accurately as possible at paper plates at various distances up to about 40 yards.
    Did the same with my mag revolver in the Yukon.
    Only got charged once by a huge grizz-didn't have a weapon handy. We worked it out that I had enough time to shoot it at least 2x as it charged. Waving & yelling at the top of our lungs saved us from bear scat!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein